Other Insurance co. changing policy after 8 months

I

inadilemma

I need some advice and am in a bind on where to go for some professional advice. I don't think a solcitor will be of use so can anyone please comment.
Here is the situation. In January I took out an insurance policy - it covered me for serious illness and income assistance. I have paid my premiums every month since then. A few days ago i got a letter from the insurance company to state that with effect from next January I will no longer be covered for income assistance. My premiums will reduce because of this. I was naturally appalled and contacted them by phone. They told me that the underwriters they get the inurance from are no longer willing to cover my type of policy after 2009. she offered me a new policy with a different underwriter. Can they do this. I have paid a lot of money into this since January and now it's of no use whatsoever to me. I am not entitled to a refund. I thought that if I had signed up then the policy could not be changed. Only new customers would be effected but it seems they can do this. I'm sorry the post is so long but am anxious about this now as the only reason the policy was taken out was to cover me if made redundant. thanks

Hi, read the policy conditions and see if they can make changes. Is it a policy that gets renewed yearly or if not how long does it run for? The answer to your question will be in the small print.

Back