insurance + building on a site

killarneyguy

I will be shortly starting building a new house on a site..I will be using a builder for most of the work, however i will be sourcing plumber,electrician,landscaping etc. myself for other work...Just wondering if there was an accident on the site-do i need to get public liability insurance?If so any1 have a recommendation on who to go or how much it might be?

you should have some policy to protect yourself against liability claims, public and employer liability and should also consider insuring the structure as it is being built.

there are threads on the site about this.

you can try a broker or FBD directly.

Advisable to arrange a comprehensive self build policy through Hibernian or similar. this will fully protect your interests. Often liability situations are not clear cut and you will definetely be drawn into any claim as the principal. These give a very good level of protection including legal expenses protection and advice which will cover some element of contractal disputes.

I have just arranged self build insurance through Wright Group (based in Wexford). They offered 12 months insurance which can be extended for further 3 months periods if necessary. Found them very helpful and had cover arranged for today within two hours of initial contact on Friday. FBD also quoted but were much dearer and the cover was not as high for things like hired plant etc. Wright Group have a full page ad in Self Build Ireland and I think there is an ad for Hibernian in there as well.

Back