Insurance 3rd party for other cars only

Frank

The job I am in I have the use of a van full time.

Car has been lying up now for 7 months with only the odd use by me and the odd loan out to mates.

My Sis is buying the car now so this obviuosly means canceling my insurance. Only nuissance is this means no more 3rd party cover on other cars, again only use the odd time if driving family or friends cars.

Could I just leave the insurance open on no car to keep the 3rd party cover alive as I probably won't get a whole lot back if I cancel anyway.

I suppose I could get some tiny engine car for nothing and basically leave it lying up just to have something to insure.

I know this is pretty minor but the van has 1 passanger seat and doesn't always suit.

Unfortunately, I think that like other people, you have an incomplete understanding of motor insurance cover. In most cases, insurance follows the individual and not the vehicle. The exception is usually only where 'open driving' is purchased as part of a policy.
... Car has been lying up now for 7 months with only the odd use by me and the odd loan out to mates...
I would doubt if your mates use of the car was covered unless you purchased 'open drive'. Some people assume that 'comprehensive cover' insures other people driving to drive their car - it doesn't.

Some people also assume that 'comprehensive cover' automatically insures them to drive other people's cars - it doesn't.
... Could I just leave the insurance open on no car to keep the 3rd party cover alive ...
Not AFAIK.
... I suppose I could get some tiny engine car for nothing and basically leave it lying up just to have something to insure...
You could but as I said already it does not automatically insure you to drive other cars or are other automatically insured to drive it.

Maybe ask your sister to add you as a named driver on her policy, at least you'll be covered on one other vehicle with her explicit permission.
... I know this is pretty minor but the van has 1 passanger seat and doesn't always suit.
As long as you are insured to carry passangers who are not connected with the business who are not connected with the business

I know how insurance works

I have open drive anyone from 25 to 70 with full license covered so yes mates covered, some credit please.

I do have 3rd party cover on my policy to drive other cars.

Might ask my dad about puting me on his car I suppose.

Will have to find out about the cover of passengers on the van though.

Back