Insulating Window Reveals

buyingabroad

Hi all,

In a dilemma.

We are both planning to get new windows in and also to internally insulate/dry line the house ourselves.

Our window contractor says that we shouldn't insulate the window reveals. Basically on the basis that the frame border would have to be deeper to allow for any insulation (I was planning 32.5m) and while fine inside this would look very unsightly from the outside.

Is there anything I can do as a workaround? And is this cold bridging thing over-rated?

Many thanks,

B.

I insulated the external reveals with phelonic k5 boards from kingspan . then plastered over . i also have the extension on the frames to allow for internal insulation.

Hi,

There is a 'blanket' insulation product that comes attached to plasterboard to make a warm board. It is about 20-25mm thick (including the plasterboard). I have used it successfully in the same situation on a retrofit.
The major drawback is that the sheets are about €90 each. It made a big difference (or so I've been told) where I used it because it was an old house with black stone wall about 600mm thick.
I think they were claiming that it had same value as 100mm conventional board.
Can't remember name of product but stocked by U-Value insulation out past Finglas. No connection to the company.

Depending on proportions, a thicker reveal outside may not look that bad!

Good luck.

Hiya,

Spacetherm panels.

Can't be fitted by sticking or dabbing.

Back