Insulating Brick House

Town

Anyone have experience of insulating a brick house . I am nervous that the drill will damage the corner of the brick and the resultant appearance.

There shouldn't be any drills when you are insulating a brick house.
I am also assuming you are not going for cavity fill - which is usually not suitable for existing brick construction.

House built in 1989. My concern relates to the potential damage done to the actual brick where the drill would chip the corners.

"cavity fill - which is usually not suitable for existing brick construction"

Forgive my ignorance Superman. but why is this so? Surely there is still a cavity between the outer leaf of brick and inner leaf of concrete blocks?

House built in 1989. My concern relates to the potential damage done to the actual brick where the drill would chip the corners.
I see where your coming from, perhaps you could visit work where the cavity pump/drilling has been done previously

"cavity fill - which is usually not suitable for existing brick construction"

Forgive my ignorance Superman. but why is this so? Surely there is still a cavity between the outer leaf of brick and inner leaf of concrete blocks?
Brick allows more moisture into the cavity than blockwork - and is less suitable for full-fill insulation than rendered blockwork.
Having just googled, I see that some products allow for brick faced construction in moderate exposure environments...

If it was me I would insulate internally and put a breathable/waterproof clear coating on the outside,thats in an ideal world.

Back