Installing urinal in domestic bathroom

I came across ones in "Designer Bathrooms & beyond" in the Tramore Road in Cork. They even covers on!. Also had a small fiy etched on them.

I had considered it, with a seperate outflow leading to the compost heap. Apparantly the nitrogen is good for the compost.

As regards the old leaving the seat up/down argument. I always put the toilet cover down as well, to even the score.

Nationwide Bathrooms and Tiles have em in their catalogue, fairly stylish ones as well. Also B n Q have one but it's not very attractive.

I'd look on eBay, a friend bought an amazing bathroom suite on eBay a while back for a quarter of the price. He had to wait a month or two to get it because they were waiting on a shipment but it's stunning and a huge talking point.

this conversation was tame by far based on our previous lunches but very funny.

Pray tell?;)

It doesn't sit well with me (forgive the pun) but has certainly made me think. When I meet my mates I'll find out is it common. I'll let you know:D

Apparantly the nitrogen is good for the compost.

Yep, it's one of the cheapest activators and the easiest to get.
Dilute it with water, 1:3. Not sure how much you are meant to use at a time, just be careful coming down the stairs with that bucket and do the diluting outside!
I sprinkled in about 2 litres yesterday, and 2 litres about two weeks ago. Gave it a good mix this evening, lots of of head and dust out of the composter, and no smell, so things are composting nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a german friend and she tells me all german boys are trained at a young age to pee sitting down and she thinks it is the correct option no mess involved.

After changing 1 million nappies for years, and currently potty training I can honestly say that urine does not bother me, there's nothing bad or dangerous in it. I have to wash the potty out using the bath/sink whatever, is that disgusting too and sometimes the kids miss, I can't be getting all squemish, how do people think parents clean up after their kids, urine is the least of it. I was at an airport (I think it was Dublin and a new terminal and no baby changing) at xmas and changing my child on the floor (very clean in the hardly used disabled toilet) another mother was disgusted at me using the floor, but she put her child on the sink area - how's that for logic coz I thought what she did was disgusting.

I have a german friend and she tells me all german boys are trained at a young age to pee sitting down and she thinks it is the correct option no mess involved.

Maybe, but does this mean that the German way is always better
I believe that history has thought us otherwise.

I was reared on a farm which kept cows, for milking. They were milked with suction clusters and never a drop spilled. What do ye think people, have I stumbled onto the perfect solution here, no spillage and probably not the worst experience of the day.

My 2 boys, 6 & 8 continuously pee on the floor, I bet my OH would approve of a urinal for them, but we probably dont have a good space for it.

I was reared on a farm which kept cows, for milking. They were milked with suction clusters and never a drop spilled. What do ye think people, have I stumbled onto the perfect solution here, no spillage and probably not the worst experience of the day.

I think NASA got there first, I'm afraid....

Maybe, but does this mean that the German way is always better
I believe that history has thought us otherwise.

Don't critisize the Germans.
Yes they lost a couple of wars and suffered hugely under some leaders who were not democratically elected. But look at how they have risen above it to become one of the economic powerhouses of Europe.

What's that to do with installing a Urinal, I have no idea whatsoever.

Urinals?

Hi
Just been to Germany and visited a lot of homes there. They all seem to have urinals and toilets in their main bathrooms. Cuts down on cleaning and water costs, though it does seem a bit nightclubby!! Am building and am considering it for the main downstairs bathroom for its praticality for the males in the house. Any suggestions or comments? Or do you think it would be tacky?

Re: Urinals?

Mr. Crapper never designed the sitty-down toilets for No 1's for boys. Urinals (or fields) were designed for that purpose, perfectly suited, much more practical and save on one of life's little inter-gender irritations "seat-up, seat-down, seat-up, seat-down". Bring on the urinals I say; fair play to the Germanian-type persons.

Re: Urinals?

Hi
Just been to Germany and visited a lot of homes there. They all seem to have urinals and toilets in their main bathrooms. Cuts down on cleaning and water costs, though it does seem a bit nightclubby!! Am building and am considering it for the main downstairs bathroom for its praticality for the males in the house. Any suggestions or comments? Or do you think it would be tacky?

Thanks nad for pointing this out. Ive moved starts question to the existing thread.

aj

Whiskey and truthseeker,
Did you ever get your urinals? If so where, how much were they and are you pleased with them?

Exactly - it's not hard. And if you do make a mess - clean up. Basic stuff really.

It's not hard for an adult male. We have two small boys peeing and a third due for toilet training. Esp. at night, when drowsy, they barely get 'Elvis' into the building at all, trousers are barely pulled down and Elvis' trajectory is all over the place. "Point it down" is their parents' plaintive refrain. I am so glad we tiled the bathroom, and even at that it is rank.......

Mind you, I am not sure a urinal would improve their aim - but it couldn't get any worse.

Back