Installing 2 outdoor sockets - pointers please.

deadwood

I'm hoping to install an outdoor socket (a weatherproof one from Aldi). I have a light switch for the outside light inside the back door which is in line with the position I require the socket. Would I be able to work a socket from the light switch wiring? I want the socket at normal height outside.

I also want to wire a shed for power. I have the required cable in place laid from the shed foundation to my back wall, outside where I have an internal socket powering the dishwasher beside the kitchen sink. I hope to place a second socket here and provide the required power to the shed.

Talk of spurs and loops has me dizzy.

Any tips please?

No you cannot take 13A socket feed from lighting circuits.

To comply with regulations regarding outside sockets, you have to be quite rigorous as regards safety. Unless you are comfortable with electrical circuits and preferably have some experience I would advise getting a qualified electrician to do the job.

A good start would be to read here:

[broken link removed]

I'd have to agree with SparkRite, it talk of spurs and loops has you dizzy, electrocution (of you, a friend, a child...) will be no fun at all!
Leo

look up a registered sparks to price this as you have all the required parts it will be a case of labour for this job which should vary from 25 euro per hour to 50 but with what you describe there is less than a couple hours work for a qualified sparks

Thanks guys.

When it comes to electrics and water, I never take a chance.

The installation of the hardware would be okay, but as for wiring it up safely to avoid flushing the toilet by switching on the lights ...

I'd insist that any work would be up to code standard too. I'll leave it to the experts.

Back