Installed/uninstalled ChompSMS, now can't send texts... :-(

DrMoriarty

Hi all, wonder if anyone has any tips for me with an odd little problem I'm having?

I recently installed ChompSMS on my LG P-970 (aka Optimus Black), and within a few hours got sick of the (very invasive!) ads, so I uninstalled it. Now I can't send texts at all (although I can receive them, and voice calls are fine).

Cabbage seems to be unaffected, as you'd expect, but I need to text a friend in the UK and you can't do that with Meteor's webtexts. And he doesn't have a smartphone, so Viber/WhatsApp are no good either.

I've checked all the relevant settings, have tried disabling 3G and using GSM only, rebooting, etc., etc. It has my head wrecked!

I can't be 100% sure that ChompSMS is the culprit, but it's the only thing I changed in the last 24 hours, so I'm inclined to suspect it has something to do with that. Maybe not...

Anyone come across anything like this before? How'd you fix it? I'd like to avoid a reset to factory settings but unless anyone has any other suggestions I guess I'll have to try that next... :(

TIA

I'd love to! :(

I can't even do it via the Meteor website because their Webtext system doesn't recognise 50047 (or any of their own 5**** service numbers). I managed to download my WAP/MMS and Data settings again, but that didn't make any difference either.

I also tried installing Go SMS Pro to see if that would somehow override/reset whatever was changed — but no luck.

I've tried several times calling Meteor's "customer services" (in the very loosest sense of the word), but it just keeps cutting off after 20/30 minutes of muzak.

Not a good week so far...

Update: Having checked that the Meteor message centre number was correct in my settings, I nonetheless downloaded my SMS/MMS and data settings afresh from the Meteor website, and still zilch.

So I've just done a complete factory reset, wiping everything bar the SD card, and ...bingo! Back in business.

'Course I now have to re-install my apps again — maybe a bit more selectively this time... :eek:

Laughing_RoflSmileyLJ.gif

Have you tried getting through to/getting anything sorted out by Meteor customer services recently?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the problem must have been caused by that ChompSMS app. I had no trouble before I installed and then uninstalled it.

I know. For a while now I've been thinking of moving. The only thing that's kept me with Meteor so far is that all five of my kids are with them (on PAYG), and don't want to move because all their friends are on Meteor, and they get free Meteor-to-Meteor texts and calls as long as they top up by €20 every 30 days.

My own bill pay plan gives me the above plus 1GB/month data for €20.35 (I signed up during a promotional offer; it's normally €30).

With seven accounts to pay for, I just can't afford to go over that kind of price mark. Lately Three and eMobile seem to be heading more and more in the direction of bundled free any-network texts, but from what I see over on Boards.ie they're not much better in the customer service stakes.

If/when I do move, I'll move all seven of us.

But this is getting a bit off-topic, and I don't want to annoy the OP. He strikes me as a pretty angry kind of guy.

;)

Cheers, cashier, but (a) they'd be coming from a different number than my Meteor one, and (b) apart from unlimited free Meteor-to-Meteor texts, I also have 200 free any-network texts, plus 300 webtexts a month (which I can also use direct from my smartphone if I want, with [broken link removed]) — so it's not that I need more. My phone just wasn't working right!

Truth be told, I hate texting. :D Even predictive. When two or three of my kids get going together, it sounds like rats nibbling on something.

The main reason I like webtexts is because I can type a heck of a lot faster on a PC keyboard. In fact, when I want to send a text that's more than a couple of lines, I often webtext myself first, and then just forward it.

Back