Insink Erator

I bought the 55 model Insinkerator - an air switch is 62E extra. But had I seen this would have saved a bundle [broken link removed]

How much would you pay for this model in ireland? Is there always a switch as an extra to buy with them?

"Excuse my ignorance but is this for both cooked and uncooked waste.
Surely you cannot compost the cooked vegetable waste."

Our model takes it all, peelings, leftovers from cooked dinners, small bones, stale bread, basically everything goes into it

Excuse my ignorance but is this for both cooked and uncooked waste.
Surely you cannot compost the cooked vegetable waste.
Of course you can compost cooked vegetable waste. Why do you think otherwise?! :confused:

Of course you can compost cooked vegetable waste. Why do you think otherwise?! :confused:
A lot of the advice given on composting is misleading about this issue and suggests that no cooked food can be composted. In fact, depending on your composter or set-up, you can compost almost anything. However, since most of us have very basic set-ups and don't want to work hard on maintaining, cooked food which contains oil / grease and cooked meats should not be composted, as they are more difficult to compost properly and may attract more flies / vermin etc.

Unfortunately, some local authorities and public bodies, to make things as simple as possible, just say not to compost cooked food - which is serious overkill.

And that's why people think otherwise. :(

Dreamerb
Thats very interesting,I know we're going off the point but I was always under the impression,and was even told on a gardening course,not to put any cooked food in the compost bin,mainly because it will attract vermin.
I've looked at other composing bins in the past (the Fat Pig I think it was called) which tooked cooked waste,I didn't realised you could put cooked food in an ordinary compost bin.

I've composted cooked and raw matter for years now no problem. Well - except the fruit flies when I forget to turn it as regularly as I should. The summary instructions with the bin purchased from DCC/Corpo years ago warned against putting in meat/fish/faeces etc. but not against cooked vegetable matter. They never mentioned the top tip of urinating on your heap either though! :D

It really depends on how vermin proof your composter is and whether you have extra worms and stuff like that. For an ordinary composter, stuff like leftover steamed or boiled vegetables are no problem at all; starchy stuff like potatoes or yams you'll get away with in small amounts occasionally (but feed the birds with your stale bread, don't stick it in the composter). Unless you really really know what you're doing and have suitable hardware (I don't!!) trying to compost fried foods / dairy / meats, fish, eggs is very high risk for bad odours and vermin problems - not to mention unusable slime at the end of the process.

I think there was a sort of super composter called "Big Bertha", if memory serves, which was supposed to be able to deal with virtually anything.

but feed the birds with your stale bread, don't stick it in the composter). Unless you really really know what you're doing and have suitable hardware (I don't!!) trying to compost ... dairy
Have composted bread and small amounts of dairy and the odd egg no problem in my bog standard compost bin.

Have composted bread and small amounts of dairy and the odd egg no problem in my bog standard compost bin.
Ooh, living dangerously... how's life over there on the edge? ;)

I just like feeding bread to the swans on my way to work anyway. Far more fun than waiting a year for the stuff to turn usable.

recommend the insinkerator with the air switch - makes a big difference as it means you can have switch on the worktop or near sink which is exactly where you would want it.

Regards
barry

terrible lazy invention,do something for the planet,compost it.

[broken link removed]

Order one from Standard Plumbing in Utah.
Approx 75 dollar delivery incl postal insurance.
These units are an absolute rip off in this country.

Because it adds to the cost of processing the sewage. It is only a lenght of time before the CoCos try to ban them.

Towger

They already have in some respects. We've just got planning permission for an extension from Dublin City Council and one of the conditions is that we don't fit one.

I can see why too: I'm sure people put all sorts of c*** down them. which no doubt gunges up their works (to use the technical terms). Best banned outright from what I've read.

Back