Insink Erator

aislingkelly

Hi I am looking for information on insink erator. Does anyone have one installed and if so how do you find them? I have heard reports that they tend to block up pipes and may cause problems,
any advice appreciated :)

Have one about a year and no problems at all - its hugely handy - makes preparing veggies and cleaning plates before putting in dishwasher very convenient and much less mess than putting waste in bin , I wouldn't be without it now.

Can't, won't and please god never let me have to live without my insinkerator - they are fantastic! It's a pleasure watching all that waste food / potato skins / teabags and all the other mucky stuff that makes a bin smelly disappear like lightening.

Not very green, though.
And definitely not suitable for a septic tank.

Why not green - thought it was better than going to landfill?

Because it adds to the cost of processing the sewage. It is only a lenght of time before the CoCos try to ban them.

Towger

"Not very green, though"

Hmmmmm, I would have thought the opposite, the stuff you chuck down the erator ends up being reprocessed and let back into the environment and is full of natural goodness.

See here for reference, albeit the manufacturer's website it does link to independent reports

[broken link removed]

Anyhow, have one a year, no blockages and would not go back, was expensive but worth it, recommend the air switch model, its a breeze to operate

hi,

have had one for couple of years and they are pretty useful.
though i still tend to dispose of veggies etc in the compost heap too.

one problem we had was waste pipe was above the grate at the external drain and it tended to block up with waste from time to time
apart from that they are excellent.

Put one in when I bought my present home (about 14 years ago!), haven't used it in, at least, the last 5 years and don't miss it at all. Wouldn't bother putting it in again, if I had my time over.

All vegetable scraps now go in compost instead; re other food scraps, I have two teenagers at home so there isn't much left on plates these days! :)

We have had one for the last two years and find it fantastic, we use it every day. The main benefit is that the bins don't smell anymore as there is hardly any perishable waste going into the bins. Our main reason for getting it was when we were fitting out our renovated house the local council were planning on bringing in pay by weight bin charges, so we saw it paying for itself quite quickly with the reduction in weight of the weekly collection. (As it turns out the scheme they brought out was actually to charge for the number of times you put the bin out). But overall would find it difficult not having one now.

One part of the set up that I thought was particularly clever is that there is a fitting on the unit to attach the dishwasher outlet which has the benefit of rinsing out the unit every time the dishwasher is used. We have never had any issues with smells of trapped waste from it.

Must admit I would have been a bit ignorant about how enviromentally unfriendly sink erators are until I read an article in my local newspaper> It was about how all the money the county council had invested in the local sewerage system had been wasted because of all the sink erators that had been installed and they need more investment just to cope with all this extra waste and that they were back to the same level before any money had been spent and before erators got popular. (Hope that's clear..!!) Definitely won't be getting one on that basis.

Damn, I didn't realise that - they don't tell you that when they're selling it to you - surely the auld cocos should let people know cos they are definitely a must have amongst the many house renovators around the place........

I take issue with the argument that they are not environmentally friendly. (I can see that the CoCos don't like them, and do not provide for them, but that is not the same thing.)

Waste which is macerated and goes down the pipes is all within the council's control and can be fully composted at a council facility, in th same way as sewage (yes, they do process it with a view to use as fertiliser). Therefore the issue here is that the council is not investing in the technology to process it.

The alternatives are (a) Put in bin, which results in fuel use by trucks to bring it to landfill, where it may release methane on decomposition.
(b) compost at home which, unless done with correct aeration, also produces methane, and may encourage rats;
(c) compost correctly at home, which lots of people do not know how to do.

Only option (c) above is truly environmentally friendly. I have an insinkerator and I will contue to use it, in the hope and expectation that the cocos will eventually keep up with the market and invest in the technology to allow this organic material to be re-processed in an entirely environmentally friendly way, using NO FUEL for transport (via the pipes)

"Can anyone now advise me on which model i should get"
I went with Model 75, tis one of the more expensive ones but the extra warranty and air-switch were worth it in my mind, if you're gonna do it........its really handy if your sink has a single tap hole on both sides as you can slip the unused cover on the near side of the sink and replace with the air-switch, don't forget you'll also need a source of power i.e. plugpoint

Will the Insink Erator work ok with private septic tanks?

At best you will have to empty the tank more often.

At worst you can ruin the drain field with suspended fats in the water.

Also because the soil pipe runs tend to be longer than a house connected to mains sewers, you are more likely to have pipe blockages.

Far better to compost the waste.

Excuse my ignorance but is this for both cooked and uncooked waste.
Surely you cannot compost the cooked vegetable waste.

Back