Inordinate delay in furniture delivery. Am i entitiled to a refund?

UnaS

I ordered a 3 seater and 2 seater recliner from a furniture shop on saturday 14th of June.

Man in the shop siad we would get the couch within 6-9wks, so I thought fair enough I could wait till start of August as I was moving into a new house. I paid the deposit then and few wks later paid for couch in full as I had enough bills and wanted to get it paid for.

Start of August I rang the shop about the couch. They said there was a delay and it was would arrive mid august. I rang again
mid august and they said it would be end of august. Rang again. Then said it would be start of Sept. I rang start of sept. Said it would arrive the following wk.

Rang them on monday the 8th. and said couch had arrived in dublin store but would have to wait on a delivery date.

Got phone call from them this morning and said it would be delievered on 30th of september! that is nearly 16wks!!!!!
i am soooooooooo mad . I told the man on the phone i wanted my money back and i would go get a couch some place else as this was just ridiculous.

He said the he couldnt do that as it was the supplier
of the couch that let them down!

Does anyone know if i am entitiled to a refund? Or what exactly my right are?

Re: Am i entitiled to a refund?

If you get a refund,surely you would have to go on a waiting list in another shop. I would just accept it.

Did you get anything in writing from the shop regarding the delivery date? I had a similar situation where there was a problem with the quality of the furniture, and the shop weren't prepared to send out the couch until they'd sorted the problem with their supplier. I waited months for an item that should only have taken 4 weeks. It suited me at the time, as I had just moved into a house and wanted to get some painting done before putting in furniture. I was, however, given the option to cancel the order and get a refund.

The fact that the furniture is now sitting in their store awaiting delivery is a different kettle of fish, though. I can't understand why they want to hold onto it for so long - surely it's taking up space in their warehouse? If you still want the furniture, I would campaign for an earlier delivery date rather than a refund. Tell them the date that you want it, and be prepared to argue for it. I had trouble getting furniture delivered on particular dates purely because I live outside Dublin, but I hassled them so much, they eventually delivered the item on a day that suited me.

Last edited:

Had a similar problem with Reids. Nightmare.

We eventually got the furniture but I won't darken their doorstep again. They kept giving us false promises.

I ordered a 3seater and 2seater recliner from a furniture shop on saturday 14th of june...
Man in the shop siad we would get the couch within 6-9wks... so I thought fair enough i could wait till start of
August as I was moving into a new house. I paid the deposit then and few wks later paid for couch in full
as i had enough bills and wanted to get it paid for.
Start of August i rang the shop about the couch.. said was a delay and it was would arrive mid august...rang again
mid august and they said it would be end of august... rang again.. then said it would be start of sept.. rang start
of sept ... said it would arrive the following wk..
Rang them on monday the 8th.. and said couch had arrived in dublin store but would have to wait on a delivery date.
Got phone call from them this morning and said it would be delievered on 30th of september!!!!!
that is nearly 16wks!!!!!
i am soooooooooo mad .... i told the man on the phone i wanted my money back and i would go get a couch
some place else as this was just ridiculous..... he said the he couldnt do that as it was the supplier
of the couch that let them down!
Does anyone know if i am entitiled to a refund???? Or what exactly my right are?

Title reworked and paragraphs added.

Had a similar problem with Reids. Nightmare.

We eventually got the furniture but I won't darken their doorstep again. They kept giving us false promises.

Reids were the ones I had delivery issues with - I paid €150 for delivery, then had trouble with them delivering on dates that suited. Apparently, they only did "that part of the country" (Louth) on certain days. When I pointed out to the delivery company what I had paid for the delivery service, I was informed that they (the delivery company) don't get €150 per delivery. Told them that was an issue for them to take up with Reids, told them what dates suited me for delivery, and got the furniture soon afterwards.

I too will never darken their doorstep again.

Back