Inheritance rights for adopted children

I was never legally adopted. Just brought to Scotland to hide the fact I had been born. My birth mothers sister and brother in law brought me up with their kids. My mother went back to galllway when I was 6 weeks old and made contact now and again. She got on with her life married and went on to have 7 other children. Am I entitled by Irish law to claim part of her estate when she passes away. Her husband has passed away.

for clarification

1. You were fostered by your Aunt and Uncle.
2. Your mother maintained some contact over the years - was any maintenance paid to your Aunt?
3. Your half siblings know about / have met you?

I was never legally adopted. Just brought to Scotland to hide the fact I had been born. My birth mothers sister and brother in law brought me up with their kids. My mother went back to galllway when I was 6 weeks old and made contact now and again. She got on with her life married and went on to have 7 other children. Am I entitled by Irish law to claim part of her estate when she passes away. Her husband has passed away.

a child is not entitled to receive any inheritance from a parent. There is a section called S117 of the succession act that allows for a child to go to court and argue that the parent failed their moral duty to provide for the child but this is not as straight forward as you have to prove it.

Yes I was brought up with my aunt and she kept contact but paid nothing toward my keep and my siblings all know of me. I reviled who I was when I was 29 and they were late teens and early to mid 30s when they found out who I was. She told them always that I was their cousin

IANAL
John luc has posted pretty much what I was going to say in regards to legal action. The legal and emotional cost however may well outweigh any monetary value.

If your birth mother has made a will & it says something like 'estate to be divided equally between my children' then you are entitled to your 1/8th share.

If she has not made a will then the intestacy rules apply.

What is intestacy rule. Does that mean I wouldn't be elagable to make a claim on a share of the estate if she has not made a will.
And when she does pass away if that's before me. How would I know if she has made a will and if so whether it states to share among all her children. If it states their names and mine is not there does that mean I have no claim

There is no 'right' of inheritance for children from their parents.

Your birth mother could choose to leave everything to a charity if she wanted.

If she has not made a will then the estate is distributed based on the rules set down by law.

You can look it up on google.

The only legal recourse you might have would be to claim you were not provided for as a child.

I note that your birth mother is still alive as are your half siblings; we only have one life to live, perhaps a better use of your time and energy would be to try and build bridges with your family.

That would be wonderful. But she has told me her past is in her past and that her children are better than I would ever be.i have begged for her to get to know me as she has only met me 3 times since sending me to the wolves when I was 6 weeks old. My aunt asked what they were to do with me as she was leaving me to go back to her life in Ireland. She told them to do what they wanted with me. My aunt also didn't want me it was her husband who insisted they bring me up.
I have been treated no better than a piece of rubbish put in the bin. So I think this woman should be doing something to compensate the way she and her children have treated me. Trust me if she came into my life wanting me even now the person I am I would welcome her and my siblings with open arms.
Things are really not all black and white my friend

My last post and small bit of advice.

You had no control over what happened to you as a child; you have all the power now as an adult to make a life and build a future for yourself.

sorry to hear of your troubles. If you feel that you are not acknowledged by your natural mother and her other children then you might want to go down the road of proving neglect by going the legal route,however without knowing you I would suggest that this might not give you peace to your plight. I wish you best of luck.

That would be wonderful. But she has told me her past is in her past and that her children are better than I would ever be.i have begged for her to get to know me as she has only met me 3 times since sending me to the wolves when I was 6 weeks old. My aunt asked what they were to do with me as she was leaving me to go back to her life in Ireland. She told them to do what they wanted with me. My aunt also didn't want me it was her husband who insisted they bring me up.
I have been treated no better than a piece of rubbish put in the bin. So I think this woman should be doing something to compensate the way she and her children have treated me. Trust me if she came into my life wanting me even now the person I am I would welcome her and my siblings with open arms.
Things are really not all black and white my friend

I genuinely feel for you and my heart goes out to you.
I agree with the previous posters that you should concentrate on your own well being.

You have asked a legal question. Only a lawyer can answer your question on whether your circumstances have a chance of a successful legal challange to a will.

Be careful, You might lose and end up with big legal bill.
You might win and not get the closure you need.

I wish you well and I hope you can find some peace.

Back