Info on Thailand needed

Sarah

Hi All,

We are heading to Koh Samui in Thailand on the 3rd of Dec for two weeks. What i would like to know id are you allowed two cases or is it just the one (Just in case i see lots of shopping to do!) Also is it safe to buy cases and handbags and shoes over there...i.e no drugs sown into the lining or anything! Also, im not too good at haggeling and am hearing that you have to haggle everywhere over there...is it hard to do and what should you start off with? Is it still cheap over there? We are bringing over €1000 each for the two weeks...will this be sufficent? We have booked into the Imperial Koh Samui...anyone know if this is nice? Whats the food like over there...im a really picky eater so can you get westernised food over there thats safe to eat...no food poisioning! and lastly, anyone know what the weather is like at that time of year...early Dec? Anyway if anyone could help me out or has any info they would like to share it would be great.
Thanks a mill
X

Your tickets should indicate your baggage allowance and its usually based on weight per person, not number of items.

I don't recall there being a huge choice of shopping in Koh Samui but it is a little while since I've been there. If you are spending any time in Bangkok, you are more likely to find bags etc there. Not sure about shoes. Have never heard of drugs being place in any items you might buy there...You mean as an added bonus? Ehhhh no, havent' heard that one.

You haggle for pretty much everything...If the locals see you are hesitant about it then you will pay more than necessary. Ask them the price, offer them about one third of what they asked for, joke with them a little and go from there......

Suggest you look up for information on your hotel and the area. You will get up to the minute reports there.

Its a shame you are going to Thailand and want western food there...You will miss out on a great experience if you don't try the food!

Sarah,
I don't know what the baggage allowance is but from personnel experience, travel light going to Thailand, as you'll end up doing a lot of shopping and then you’ll need to buy another suitcase to bring it all home.
Two weeks in Koh Samui is probably too much, unless you like lazing around. The shopping won't extend much beyond the typical touristy souvenir and fake clothing and watches that's so common in Thailand. You need to spend a few days in Bangkok for the serious shopping.

You do need to haggle a little, it’s built into the prices they ask, it's off-putting for a lot of people. They don’t expect you to pay the first prices they ask for. Trying to knock 10Baht off a 50Baht souvenir is no big deal. They still have to make a living and feed a family, But if you’re spending say a 1000 Euro on handmade clothes, then you have room to bargain hard, for example, better cloth, a couple of free shirts or dresses etc. A 1000 euro each should be more than enough. Thailand is a cheap location once you get there. Do try to take a boat trip or two.

Do try their food as it's great, you'll be missing a great opportunity if you stick to pizza and burgers! The hotel food should be fine and will cater for all tastes.

Enjoy the trip there, get your vaccinations in good time and don’t drink the tap water there and stare alert for the jewel scams

You're nervous about shopping, you're uncomfortable with haggling, you don't want to eat the local food.........are you sure you want to go there at all? :D

But since you are going............yes, your spending money is easily sufficient. Do NOT be scared to haggle, it's part of the culture there. Stand back & watch someone else do it first to give you an idea.

You'll find plenty of places selling western food.

Your hotel is very well rated by other travellers - see for reviews.

Weather can be a little unsettled in early December. You can get downpours at any time of year, but December can be one of the wetter, windier months. Sounds bad, but don't worry overly. A tropical downpour is nearly always followed by blue skies for the rest of the day.

Relax & have lots of fun!:)

ps The Rough Guide to Thailand is pretty good, will tell you loads about what's good & bad & what to expect. Should find it in any reasonable bookshop.

Just got back about 2 weeks ago, although did 1 week Koh Phangan / 1 week Koh Samui & 4 days Bangkok.

Flew with Air France and on documentation it stated 30kg per person. flew out no problems, but returning home the check in staff in Bangkok were insistant that the allowance was only 20kg, and made us empty some stuff out of check in baggage and put into carry on. Bit of a weird one?

I agree 2 weeks is probably too long on Samui. Depending on your taste you may get fed up with staying in Chaweng, which is the main strip in Samui. You should hop in a taxi some nights and head up to the Fishermans village in Bophut, it is a lovely area with great bars & restaurants. You wont get hassled and it is not overrun with tourists in this area. If you dont like the Thai food (shame on you!!) you must go to The Shack Bar & grill in the F'mans village.

As for the haggeling, you just have to get into it, its actually good fun once you get started. Although the real haggeling is done in Bangkok, you really should try a couple of nights there. great shopping. Some great bargains to be had if you know what you want.

Back