Indo article: "Cohabiting can be costly for couples - why it pays you to get hitched"

Haven't fully read up on it in a long time but AFAIK a person can only claim one type of pension
So it's either her OAP or the Widows pension
Correct. You will get whichever is more favourable. Possible, for instance, that one could qualify for a contributory widow(er)s pension based on the late spouse's PRSI, which is better than a non-contributory OAP on one's own PRSI record.

Correct. You will get whichever is more favourable. Possible, for instance, that one could qualify for a contributory widow(er)s pension based on the late spouse's PRSI, which is better than a non-contributory OAP on one's own PRSI record.
Wow.
That's interesting.

As a divorced man with three children living with me I get the same tax allowances as a single person but my ex-wife, with no dependent children living with her, gets a double personal allowance. That's only because she's a woman. She also gets the children's allowance. I'd have to go to court to change that.

How is she getting the SPCCC when you have the children? Didn't think it was dependent on being a woman, whatever about the childrens allowance although obviously you should have that too.

Didn't think it was dependent on being a woman,
It's not gender related, but "Only one parent or guardian of a child can claim the SPCCC in a tax year. "

and

"Whoever receives the child benefit payment will be regarded as the ‘primary claimant’ for the SPCCC."

Purple can apply via the courts to have this changed as they are the primary carer, but may have chosen not to so.

Hi, I am cohabiting and sharing a mortgage on our family home with my partner. I have a rental property with mortgage in my own name only.
We have 2 young adult children together. We have agreed in our wills to leave all our respective assets to the kids only,
Therefore, in the following scenario, if I die first, life assurance will clear the mortgage on my rental property and the family home.
I will leave my half ownership of the family home split between both kids and rental house split between both kids, both of which would be about 300k value. I also have 100k in company pensions, which I would also split between kids. Rental house would be sold immediately and split and family home could not be sold until other partner dies or all 3 agree to sell.

If my partner dies first, she will leave half of her family home to kids. No other assets the same clause on sale of family home.
Is there any pitfall overlooked in this scenario?

Thanks.

Hi, I am cohabiting and sharing a mortgage on our family home with my partner. I have a rental property with mortgage in my own name only.
We have 2 young adult children together. We have agreed in our wills to leave all our respective assets to the kids only,
Therefore, in the following scenario, if I die first, life assurance will clear the mortgage on my rental property and the family home.
I will leave my half ownership of the family home split between both kids and rental house split between both kids, both of which would be about 300k value. I also have 100k in company pensions, which I would also split between kids. Rental house would be sold immediately and split and family home could not be sold until other partner dies or all 3 agree to sell.

If my partner dies first, she will leave half of her family home to kids. No other assets the same clause on sale of family home.
Is there any pitfall overlooked in this scenario?

Thanks.
My understanding of a shared home is it usually passes by survivorship. In which case it would automatically pass to the remaining partner. If so it would not be included in your estate.

How is she getting the SPCCC when you have the children? Didn't think it was dependent on being a woman, whatever about the childrens allowance although obviously you should have that too.
As @DannyBoyD said the payment goes to the parent who received the Child Benefit payment and the mother automatically gets that. Their lower rate tax band is also increased by €4000. That means that separated Mothers get an extra €47.11 a week to look after their children but fathers in the same position get nothing unless they go to court.
In my case the emotional fallout on the kids and the abuse they would receive means it's not worth it.

So much for equality...

As @DannyBoyD said the payment goes to the parent who received the Child Benefit payment and the mother automatically gets that. Their lower rate tax band is also increased by €4000. That means that separated Mothers get an extra €47.11 a week to look after their children but fathers in the same position get nothing unless they go to court.
In my case the emotional fallout on the kids and the abuse they would receive means it's not worth it.

So much for equality...
I knew the Child Benefit automatically goes to the mother but didn't know that the SPCCC went automatically to the person getting CB, it doesn't say that on the Rev site under requirements. I can see how it could be assumed but it's ridiculous that it should require going to court to get it if it's not an actual requirement according to Revenue.

I claimed it for many years but that was back before it was reformed to one parent only and it just required signing the declaration.

I knew the Child Benefit automatically goes to the mother but didn't know that the SPCCC went automatically to the person getting CB, it doesn't say that on the Rev site under requirements. I can see how it could be assumed but it's ridiculous that it should require going to court to get it if it's not an actual requirement according to Revenue.

I claimed it for many years but that was back before it was reformed to one parent only and it just required signing the declaration.
One parent can sign the declaration... but in this case won't do so.

I'm sure we all trust that you will never be in the position of claiming said pension.
Well I am married to my husband, I have also previously gone through the divorce process.

But I never for once, thought that my ex husband and my husband's ex wife could claim pensions on our death, if they remain unmarried, based on the hard work we have put in over our working lives.

Just mind blowing.

..my ex husband and my husband's ex wife could claim pensions on our death, if they remain unmarried, based on the hard work we have put in over our working lives.
What is claimable is a state benefit associated to PRSI payments, with conditions attached. Should your current husband pass away, I would imagine the benefit will be of some use to you.

I don't see that it's any skin off your nose what anyone else claims for.

What is claimable is a state benefit associated to PRSI payments, with conditions attached. Should your current husband pass away, I would imagine the benefit will be of some use to you.

I don't see that it's any skin off your nose what anyone else claims for.
If you met my husband's ex wife you would understand lol.

Back