Independent report to assess adequacy of works done to repair roof leak

meadow

We had a leak on our kitchen roof last month which needed to be repaired urgently as water was dripping through.

We contacted a roofing company who took up the tiles , replaced the felt and battens, and laid the tiles again. This was not an insignificant cost.

This looked to have resolved the problem as the water was no longer leaking through in that spot.

However, we have three Velux windows in the roof , and one of those started leaking in heavy rain last week so we had someone from Velux come out and reseal the seals as they were over 10 years old and Velux recommended that this be done.

The guys from Velux resealed the skylight windows . They seemed very professional and said that a bad job had been done by the roofing company.

Primarily, the wrong size battens had been used (20mm instead of 40mm or 50mm) so the tiles were sitting too low and they also had damaged the flashing around the windows when lifting the tiles. They should have replaced this damaged flashing when they were doing the job rather than just laying it down once more.

I want to go back to the roofing company on this but I would like to get an independent certificate/report from a roofing assessor that would clearly describe the problems , give a review on the adequacy of the works done and that could be used in the small claims court should I need to go down this line.

Who would I contact to do should a report ?

A local Engineer I'd suggest.
You could google BER assessors in your area, they are often engineers & may be able to provide the roof report you seek.

The guys from Velux resealed the skylight windows . They seemed very professional and said that a bad job had been done by the roofing company.

Did they refuse to give a report (for a fee) especially in light of their complaints about the quality of the work done?

Back