Independent mechanic for BMW X5 oil service

Luternau

Have a BMW x5D (2004) is needs an oil service. Dont want to go to a main dealer as they charge too much for the luxury of FBMWSH-is just an oil change. Inspection 1 or 2 is a different matter.
Any recomendations for independent garage (must be able to re set the service indicator-which I am told is not such a major process) I am aware of aac on SCR -are there others that can do this? Thanks

Service indicator can be re-set easily yourself or by meachanic - just a combination of button presses, google it and you should find out how. That said almost all independent garages will have a diagnostic machine to reset this for you after an oil change.

Luternau, check out the key post from Mondeoman re service indicators.

Edit: sorry it's not a key post but the thread is here

Are you based in Dublin? I know a good BMW guy in Walkinstown. He's ex-BMW Ireland but now operates from a garden shed. Sounds dodgy but is actually a great guy and far cheaper than the main dealers.

David Breech (01) 4502800. No connection with him - he used to service my 520.

Tks for replies. Found a site that tells you how to do the service indicator -seems easy enough. Wondering if I should attempt the oil change-and save a good few yo yo's! I am pretty handy and love a challenge! Its tempting...!

Wondering if I should attempt the oil change

I've heard it's easy enough if a bit messy. You can get 'kits' in Halfords and the like for this. I've thought about it myself but decided against it in the end on the basis that a mechanic might notice if anything else needs attention at the same time - whereas I wouldn't.

I saw a detailed thread on how to change your oil yourself and seems easy enough.. if not just a bit messy. Just curious though - is the light on just telling you to change oil or is a normal service light - would there not be a few other things that should be done? I thought in this day age with servicing so infrequent that when the lights come on that there are a number of things to be done/checked and not just an oil change?

I would be tempted to drop it in as a mechanic should pull the wheels off through it up on the ramp and have a good look around.

I know a guy just off the Nass road just over the new kingswood outer ring road.

Kingswood industrial estate. Do everything from tyres to servicing to aircon to diagnostics.

The head mechanic is Keith Walsh used to work as a trainer for renault and Nissan. Contact is Mark Walsh 086681248 looks after the non oily bits like bookings.

Good mate, good guy. Othert than that no interest in the company.

Think you are right -its due up for a NcT soon-so a pre check would be a good idea. There was a digit missing from the kingswood phone number.
The service indicator still has one green light and 'Oil Service' displayed seperately. I got the key inserted into computer at dealer about 500mls ago and it said inspection 1 due in about 4k mls. Must get the odometer switched to KM too! They certainly go for ages between services!

Back