Increased traffic in rush hour

liaconn

Is anyone else noticing that the levels of traffic in the mornings and evenings is starting to increase again? Could this be a non scientific indicator that the recession is coming to an end? :cool:

Is anyone else noticing that the levels of traffic in the mornings and evenings is starting to increase again? Could this be a non scientific indicator that the recession is coming to an end? :cool:

It could also indicate that you are finding it harder to get out of bed in the morning and so are hitting more traffic ;)

Driving in form the south side into Dublin via e.g. Donnybrook, the "traffic engineers" have added an additional 10 seconds to the timing of the red traffic lights along the route. You can imagine the knock on effect with commuting times:rolleyes:

You also have more commuters using their cars due to the recent deliberate reduction of the amount of carraiges on the Dart etc

And the onset of winter means more people use their cars than public transport

I have worked in Sandyford on and off for years now.

In 2006/2007, the traffic was savage in rush hour. I wasn't in Sandyford for 18 months and when I went back working there in Nov 2008, I was pleased for myself and horrified for the economy how light the traffic was.

For the last 2 years, the traffic has got steadily worse out there, even though the Luas now goes to Central Park. Even the Luas is busier on the days I take it.

There are even far more cycling commuters on the roads, at least there are in good weather. ( Lots of shiny new Cycle-to-work scheme bikes)

This is a gradual increase over the two years, not seasonal variations.

I've been mentioning this to people recently as its bad in some areas. Found one Monday recently when I was out and about quite a bit that the traffic was very heavy and didn't have the excuse of the rain slowing everything down.

Two Thursday nights (long after rush hour) recently were particularly bad and was wondering if it was shopping night or something similar :confused:

I have noticed that one section of my commute is now slower. At one junction there are less cars getting through on green so I assume the timings have been changed.

Driving in form the south side into Dublin via e.g. Donnybrook, the "traffic engineers" have added an additional 10 seconds to the timing of the red traffic lights along the route. You can imagine the knock on effect with commuting times:rolleyes:
Or you could say they've added an additional 10 seconds of green for the traffic crossing the main route.

The traffic has increased hugely on the M50 this Winter compared to last year, both coming from and going to work. Not sure why, but it's very noticeable.

I go north on the M50 in the morning at 7.30 and south in the evening between 6.30 and 8.30 and I haven't noticed any additional time on my journey.

I go north on the M50 in the morning at 7.30 and south in the evening between 6.30 and 8.30 and I haven't noticed any additional time on my journey.

I do the same journey at approximately the same times (slightly earlier in the evening) and have noticed a significant difference. Weird:confused:

If you have time on your hands to navigate a pretty poor layout, the NRA site has hard data for a lot of sites across the country. For example, on the M50, between the N2 & N3, the daily average has gone from 90k in March/April 2012 to 117k in March/April 2013.

Back