Incorrectly used sayings and phrases (malapropisims and related)

"I had an aperitif to wet my appetite."

"I edge my chisels on a wet-stone."

"The Grim Reaper sharpens his scythe with a side-board." ( :eek: from Ikea? )

salmonella

Ah, that's a completely different kettle of fish.

I always associated that one with Kerry, as in "He hov 23 All Ireland middles". "Oh he hov, hov he?"

Yeah, west Cork and Kerry. Also, back around Coolea and such places the older generation still say 'fwhat, fwhy, fwhere and fwhen' Its dying out though, unfortunately.

A friend of mine told me of a phone conversation he had with an acquaintance from Kerry a few years back;

Friend (from Cork): 'Are you coming out for a pint?'
Kerryman: 'I don't know, lid. I'm still in the flit'
F: 'Sorry, where are you?'
K: 'The flit, lid.'
F: 'Sorry, say that again.'
K: 'This post will be deleted if not edited immediately, lid, the flit, where I live. The ipirtmint'
F: 'Oh right, you're in your flat. Well, let me know if you're coming out'

I thought it was hilarious, made even funnier by the fact that the Kerryman's name is Matt. He has since been known as 'Mitt the flit.'

The one that gets me is 'try and' as in, I'm going to try and get the car started.' Surely it should be 'try to'?

Baldyman, they even use "try and" on the TV news here in England.
Drives me even more crackers.

Baldyman, they even use "try and" on the TV news here in England...
But sure lads, try and understand where they're coming from, with names like Olivia O'Leary, Craig Doyle, Dermot Murhnaghan, Michael McIntyre, Paddy Considine, Diarmuid Gavin, Rory McGrath, Tommy Walsh, Lisa ... (Weatherbird Sky), Terry Wogan, Charley Boorman and so on on the English telly ye're luck that's all that's fecken' affected. Can't ye try and be grateful for wonce...

The problem with reading threads like this is you forget how to speak! I always used to know how to pronounce chasm. (It's Kaz-am, isn't?)

To continue BALDYMAN27 s contribution it is common in that country to pronounce V as W

e.g. he drank a lot of wodka and later he was out the back womiting

To continue BALDYMAN27 s contribution it is common in that country to pronounce V as W

e.g. he drank a lot of wodka and later he was out the back womiting

Correct! Forgot about that one! They are the anti-Germans. I used to deliver straw to an old farmer in Coolea in my heyday (get it?!) and the cup of tea after the unloading was a hilarious experience. A recommendation for anyone who would like to hear examples of this dying breed is to go to the International Sheep-Shearing Trials (I kid you not) at the Top of Coom each summer.

The problem with reading threads like this is you forget how to speak! I always used to know how to pronounce chasm. (It's Kaz-am, isn't?)

The problem with reading threads like this is that one becomes paranoically pedantic about one's own spelling, etc. (Bet I spellled something incorrectly there)

There are posters around Castlebar advertising a forthcoming performance of " Tom Crean, Antartic Explorer "

That would be a pivoting lorry full of termites, quite common in the South Pole.

"could of" (he could of done it if he tried)

I know it's pronunciation but...
"Chapelizard (Chapelizod in West Dublin)

The phrase that drives me insane is " she fell pregnant" . I remember a time when to say that was considered awful or "common" or " gutty". I've heard it on serious tv and seen it written in newspapers lately. What's wrong with " she became pregnant' . To me it conjures up images I can do without!! And there is an implication that is just happened like getting measles or something!!

What gets me is when a couple say “we are pregnant”. I’ve four kids and to the best of my recollection my wife gave birth to all of them. My involvement was some time earlier. When men carry a baby for 9 months and then give birth they will be pregnant, ‘till then the mother will be.

Two classic Dub ones:

She had a baby for him (very good of her)

and

Sorry over that (Instead of about - it just sounds bizarre to me)

I've some across 2 seperate references today to the term used for seeking to control someone - to reign him in.

I've always assumed it should be spelled to rein him in, as in a horse's reins ?

Am I mistaken ?

.. but you are in this one. :D

:eek:

OK, but ..

My 'trusty' desk dictionary lists 'seperate' as meaning both 'to divide' (transitive verb), and 'distinct' (adjective). So if I'm mistaken on that one, then I'm not alone :p.

In which case I'll resort to my default defence that there is nothing wrong with my spelling; it's my typing that's at fault ;).

PS having a desk dictionary - that a sign of age :rolleyes: !

:eek:

OK, but ..

My 'trusty' desk dictionary lists 'seperate' as meaning both 'to divide' (transitive verb), and 'distinct' (adjective). So if I'm mistaken on that one, then I'm not alone :p.

Does it have seperate or separate. I'd hope the latter. It may be your spelling that was being picked up on, rather than your usage, which was fine.

Cheap at half the price

Surely this should be dear at half the price, or cheap at twice the price ?

Back