Incident at work, views please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outspan - I'd love your salary €110K and only 4 staff. I have 5 and not even half your salary.

There's a saying here - PIP and RIP.

Praise in Public - Reprimand in Private.

Or another alternative

" I was talking to the new girl and boss came in, called us both into the office and suggested we were not getting our work done and that our chatting was inappropriate. Does this count as a verbal warning? Surely all she had to do was ask us to go back to work. Was there any need to take the matter so seriously?"

Beaut, I'd love my salary too ! (?)

Two things:

- One, maybe the boss reprimanded in public to get the point across to all four workers, ALL of whom were chatting away to one degree or another, and,
- Two, the boss didn't single out an individual member of staff for the reprimand. She was making a point to 50% (2/4) of her entire staff.

Oh I really think some people are getting really carried away here and need to come down off their high horse.The manager acted unprofessionally and that is the bottom line. She should apologise which i'm sure Moesha would be more than happy to accept.By the way to all of the 'non-issue' people do your bosses or managers know how much time you are spending on AAM?

Oh I really think some people are getting really carried away here and need to come down off their high horse.The manager acted unprofessionally and that is the bottom line. She should apologise which i'm sure Moesha would be more than happy to accept.By the way to all of the 'non-issue' people do your bosses or managers know how much time you are spending on AAM?

And dont you think Moesha acted unprofessionally by (a) chatting with a new girl when they were supposed to be working (b) going to the managers office and demanding that she be allowed to speak there and then despite being told that the manager didnt have time to speak immediately.

I think that there are probably a few issues here, the OP was chatting on the job and when pulled up informally on it then stormed off to complain to the manager. She states that she was not happy at being spoken to like a child - but unfortunately the tale reads as though she was behaving like one.

Im sure there is more to the story - the manager should have made time to discuss the issue, but it sounds like the OP was badgering to say her piece which wouldnt have gone down too well.

Back to the original post - so what if other people were on personal calls at the time? Does that mean that the OP should not be reprimanded for chatting? Chatting in the workplace with the new girl does not send a great message about the work ethic of the office.

And dont you think Moesha acted unprofessionally by (a) chatting with a new girl when they were supposed to be working

But that's the point - they were working. Are they supposed to go around like zombies and not utter a word to each other. This is getting ridiculous. Moesha did not do anything wrong. The MANAGER is wrong.

Is there a problem with chatting in the workplace ?

I don't know anyone who is contractually required not to chat during their work hours.

z

But that's the point - they were working. Are they supposed to go around like zombies and not utter a word to each other. This is getting ridiculous. Moesha did not do anything wrong. The MANAGER is wrong.

Having read through the thread I cannot agree with you. Moesha did do something wrong. Barging into the manager's office and refusing to accept that the manager couldn't discuss the issue there and then was unacceptable behaviour. I also would take issue with the "we're just chatting at the photocopier" bit. In an open plan office enviroment two people, one of them a new employee, standing at a photocopier and chatting away would annoy any manager. An earlier poster made a good point that a new employee arriving is a good opportunity to give other employees a proverbial kick up the backside regarding bad habits. As for trying to take this further, that would be ridiculous. It's a non issue and the OP should forget about it and take the criticism about chatting on the chin. We all chat in our workplaces or surf the internet from time to time. But it's a matter of balance, don't take the mickey and don't be brazen about it. If I were the OP I would ask the manager to go for a drink on a Friday evening or go for lunch or something and build a bridge. And in future, box clever about non work stuff when you're in work.

Clearly if the manager felt the need to pull the OP up verbally then she was chatting outside the realms of what was acceptable.

I dont think people are supposed to be zombies but when someone new comes into the office I do think that people should act professionally and not infer by action that chatting/gossiping about people/home/etc.. is ok. The manager had a point to make and made it by informally pulling the OP up on the matter.

The OP then barging into the managers office and insisting she be listened to was just bad judgement.

Wonder if the OP is gone into hiding after the replies and interest in the thread! :D

Wonder if the OP is gone into hiding after the replies and interest in the thread! :D

In fairness, the OP posted on her own time on a Sunday evening. she has not posted during her working day on company time ... unlike some, I would guess (including me)

-I approached managers office, knocked on the door and asked if I could have a word. -well can you talk to me later-well will you let me know when you can have a word with me -actaully this cant wait, please do not speak to me like im a child in a classroom, especially when we werent the only people talkingManager then scowled "leave my office now" . I didnt answer and i left her office. .............................................Going ballistic?????

I can't wait to hear the outcome of the mediation.

I think the manager will be told her upskill her people management skills because regardless of the rights or wrongs of the sisuation, she didn't handle it very well.

If you get €110K pa you have to be able to deal with staff who are not backwards in coming forwards.

If I had this salary I'd be an absoulte delight of a boss!!!!

Semantics...barging in vs walking in slowly, refusing to leave and then going ballistic. It was still unacceptable behaviour.
You have comprehension issues if you read that into the OP. Please point out where the speed of her entry, the refusal to leave and her "going ballistic" is :

I knocked on the door and asked if I could have a word. Manager says " im too busy, I don't have the time, Ill have to see" I said " well can you talk to me later" Same reply from manager. I said "well will you let me know when you can have a word with me" Same reply from manager. I said "actually this cant wait, please do not speak to me like im a child in a classroom, especially when we weren't the only people talking" Manager then scowled "leave my office now" . I didn't answer and i left her office.

You have comprehension issues if you read that into the OP. Please point out where the speed of her entry, the refusal to leave and her "going ballistic" is :

I knocked on the door and asked if I could have a word. Manager says " im too busy, I don't have the time, Ill have to see" I said " well can you talk to me later" Same reply from manager. I said "well will you let me know when you can have a word with me" Same reply from manager. I said "actually this cant wait, please do not speak to me like im a child in a classroom, especially when we weren't the only people talking" Manager then scowled "leave my office now" . I didn't answer and i left her office.

3 times the manager said "Im too busy, I dont have the time, Ill have to see'. And the OP still stood there waiting to say her piece - if thats not refusing to leave the office I dont know what is.

What manager would make the response "i'll have to see" when a staff member wishes to discuss something?Thank God it wasn't an emergency

What manager would make the response "i'll have to see" when a staff member wishes to discuss something?Thank God it wasn't an emergency

A lot of managers - they are not just free at the whims of the staff!! How do you know the manager wasnt having an emergency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back