Inchicore/The Ranch

B

bunnyann

Hello, I am a young, single woman and first time buyer. I just wondered if you could tell me how safe Inchicore is in general? Also there is an area called 'the ranch' which is often described as the 'desirable' part of Inchicore with estate agents. How true is this? I've been there to view a house in this area, although it was lovely it seemed a bit far off from the Inchicore village?! I've also viewed nearer the village, would this area be deemed safer? I am not from Dublin so would appreciate any feedback please! Many Thanks.

To hear that EAs are calling the ranch the more desirable part of inchicore is just a bold faced lie. There is even an argument that it is not Inchicore at all. If it is under the bridge i believe it is not inchicore, if it is before the bridge on the road down it would be the CIE area and be included as inchicore, i could be wrong but i dont think so.

To be honest i would be looking to be on Tyrconnell Road, Tyrconnell street or Tyrconnell Park in Inchicore.

Regards
Bag

The Ranch is not and never has been Inchicore. It is Ballyfermot. It's not quite as bad now as it used to be when I grew up locally but I would have serious reservations about living there, although this may be a holdover from my childhood!

Strange as im just lookin around to buy a house at the moment and found myslef checkin out a few pads in inchicore, inchicore is to my knowlege somewhere were u wouldnt live in in a fit but now things have turned around, the closer to town the better and afetr lookin at inchicore closer now its a cool spot and still not that exspensive to buy... i know a couple of people who live tgere and love it. i have had my eye on buying a house rather than an apartment and u can get a nice little red brick do-er-up-er for about 300,000 . so i took a spin over there the other day not being farmilular with the area to check out the pad, i have g.p.s in the car and there is no such place as the raunch or phonix street in inchicore!!! infact u will find it if u search under ballyfermot so its those estate agents being creative and as on the comment that u said about how popular the raunch is according to estae agents is also bull as i was speakin to my mother about it and her dad was originally from around there and according to her it used to be a notorious kip. actually disapointed as i was sorta makin my mind up to go for one of them,, aswell check the layout of those houses out, bathroom thro the kitchen nitemare ! keep lookin and no effence was meant to anyone livin there....

Strange as im just lookin around to buy a house at the moment and found myslef checkin out a few pads in inchicore, inchicore is to my knowlege somewhere were u wouldnt live in in a fit but now things have turned around, the closer to town the better and afetr lookin at inchicore closer now its a cool spot and still not that exspensive to buy... i know a couple of people who live tgere and love it. i have had my eye on buying a house rather than an apartment and u can get a nice little red brick do-er-up-er for about 300,000 . so i took a spin over there the other day not being farmilular with the area to check out the pad, i have g.p.s in the car and there is no such place as the raunch or phonix street in inchicore!!! infact u will find it if u search under ballyfermot so its those estate agents being creative and as on the comment that u said about how popular the raunch is according to estae agents is also bull as i was speakin to my mother about it and her dad was originally from around there and according to her it used to be a notorious kip. actually disapointed as i was sorta makin my mind up to go for one of them,, aswell check the layout of those houses out, bathroom thro the kitchen nitemare ! keep lookin and no effence was meant to anyone livin there....

lol....no offence to poster but thats the closest I have ever come to reading a Vicky Pollard script.what long sentences..well kinda, so maybe, yea, no but yea but...so lol

I would have to say that I wouldn't recommend The Ranch. In terms of location, it's that bit too far from Inchicore village, it's really Ballyfermot (which wouldn't be quite as "up-and-coming" as Inchicore or Kilmainham) and I know a girl who lives there and...well, let's say she has stories to tell - but I must add, in terms of personal safety it's probably ok.

If you're looking in Inchicore, I would suggest, as pointed out above, Tyrconnell Road, Tyrconnell Street or Tyrconnell Park - all very close to the village, nice areas and busy enough for there not to be people loitering or causing trouble. If new to the area I would suggest somewhere like the above - Tyrconnell Road etc are also within walking distance of the LUAS, with future luas extensions, new luas lines and metro interconnectors planned, I think that proximity to Luas will be an advantage.

The Emmet Road end of Inchicore is possibly less desireable, close to St. Michaels (which is being re-developed to be fair, but does have a history of problems) and the crowds from the St. Pat's games.

As for Kilmainham, the old kilmainham road seems nice, quiet (which can be both a good thing and a bad thing) and there aren't as many shops etc. nearby as with Inchicore village, but relatively short walk to Jame's Luas stop or Suir Bridge and the new Hilton is opening soon.

With both areas general amenities in the area are great - the RHK, Memorial Gardens, new gym in the Hilton, Kilmainham Gaol, Phoenix park, Luas and bus etc. etc.

Hi, going to look at a place near the ranch tomorrow. What are these stories your friend has. I am a single woman looking to buy someplace so personal safety is an important issue.

Hi Spillac,
I think we have had correspondance on another thread... I work near ballyfermot and TBH I wouldn't live there as it is quite a rough area...

I have found an apartment in cabra for 355 its against posting guidelines to post links but I'll pm you the link...

Hi Pinkbear,

thanks a mill but my budget is about €310! I am looking at a gaff in Incicore(or where the EA classes as Incicore) at the wkd. Will bear in mind what you have said.

Hi Spillac,
I was on the way into work today and I noticed where the Ranch is.... Yes it is in Ballyfermot but the area there doesn't apppear to be too bad. You are actually quite a bit a way from bfermot village and really not too far from inchicore...

It appears quite nice...
good luck in the search..
P:)

Hi,

I lived on Sarsfield Road across from the Ranch for about five-six years. It's not too bad as emerging areas go, close to town (45 min walk) and Tesco nearby - it's not D4 though obviously. I always found Inchicore village much more unappealing at night but that was 2000 - 2006 and things change.

I looked at a few properties there in the past and it seems okay. It's definitely Inchicore, Dublin 10, although in reality, it feels like it's in Ballyfermot. The Luas end of Inchicore and parts of Kilmainham are much nicer but prices also reflect this. The Ranch is one of few areas in proximity to the city centre, where you can still get a modernised house (rather than an apartment) for under €300,000.

The Ranch WAS in inchicore prior to the arrival of Ballyfermot - just across the railway line from the Inchicore Railway Works.
It was a lovely small safe community with two farms adjactent for milk eggs and butter.... now that was 75 years ago.... but it was deffo inchicore....

The Ranch WAS in inchicore prior to the arrival of Ballyfermot - just across the railway line from the Inchicore Railway Works.
It was a lovely small safe community with two farms adjactent for milk eggs and butter.... now that was 75 years ago.... but it was deffo inchicore....

Yes this is correct. I'm originally from Ballyfermot and the Ranch is officially in Inchicore although now it feels more Ballyfermot as the Ballyfermot corporation houses were built down beside it.

Would I want to move there with my family, to be honest....No. The majority of people in the area are fine people, but a minority of youths hanging around outside the pub at night would be a concern. I play cards every week in the area and you would always see teenagers hanging around probably up to no good.

I would have the same opinion of Inchicore village but then you could extrapilate that to the city centre as well.

Whereever you are considering, you should visit the place a few times at night and see what you think.

The Ranch is no more Inchicore than the man on the moon! I am not a fan of Inchicore at all. It's no more than a junkies paradise! In my eyes fifty times worse than Ballyfermot. No offence to the people living there but come on open your eyes the village is a wash with drugs.

Search for previous discussions about Inchicore. Lots of negative opinion and lots of "its an up and coming place" - that has been said for the last 15 years.

The Ranch is no more Inchicore than the man on the moon! .

Well in fact both yourself and havealaugh are incorrect. The Ranch was built before Ballyfermot for the Inchicore workers. Ballyfermot simply grew down towards it.

The official address is The Ranch, Inchicore, Dublin 10. A good buddy of mine born and bred in the ranch and happens to work for An Post confirmed all this for me a while back for a previous thread.

I would agree with your comments about Inchicore Village not being very pleasant. I wouldn't want to live there. There are some well established housing estates in Inchicore(quite expensive) with some very tight knit communities but the village is too much like the rougher parts of Dublin City Centre.

Back