Incandescent Light Bulbs Banned from 2009

sully

Hi There,

We only recently changed our lights and the light uses incandescent light bulbs. does this mean that we wont be able to get bulbs for our lights after 2009 in Irish stores???

How are other ppl going to deal with this, will we have to stockpile up on bulbs!!!

Are there realistic alternative lightbulbs that dont look ugly that we can get for the lightfixtures, we currently use spotlights, candle bulbs, and 20 small lightbulbs(10watt each 2 pin) in a sitting room chandelier....

Th kithchen lights we can probably live with CFL bulbs in them but the other lights these are a complete no no.

Th kithchen lights we can probably live with CFL bulbs in them but the other lights these are a complete no no.
Why? Dimmers or something?

I'd imagine that you'll still be able to buy them in 2009 - e.g. eBay etc.

"These bulbs use technology invented during the age of the steam engine," said Mr Gormley.
Does this mean he'll be banning bicycles next? :rolleyes: When were windmills invented etc.?

Not sure where I read it - perhaps here somewhere - but going green with cfl's may not actually be the best for the environment - given that cfl's have mercury content & more damaging to the environment if disposed of incorrectly.

Yeah - as often happens with these things what seems like a no brainer may be anything anything but. They should be concentrating on reducing emission/inefficiencies where they get biggest bang for their buck - e.g. at the power stations. Maybe nuclear (ideally not getting too big a bang for their buck! :))?

Something similar is under way in Australia.
Interesting page of info from the Dept of Climate Change [broken link removed]
They seem to have chosen a minimum of 20 lumens per watt, rather than our proposed 25 lumens per watt. This will allow most halogen downlights to remain on sale.
The overall savings here will be less than predicted, because they're not taking account the increased heating demand to replace the heat from incandescent lights.

Yeah i reckon we will bulk buy the old type of lightbulbs from abroad when we need them. We do have dimmers put in, and CFL aren't efficeint with those anyway.

How small do these bulbs go and do they come in clear glass?? as i said we have a chandelier that takes really small bulbs that have 2 pins and are 10 watts( dont know their name) but i dont think cfl's or Led will work there.

I always thought it is a crazy system where you have to pay a PRF of 50c on CFL lamps but not on an ordinary lightbulb...

We do have dimmers put in, and CFL aren't efficeint with those anyway.
Most CFLs simply won't work or may blow when used with dimmer switches/circuits as far as I know?
How small do these bulbs go and do they come in clear glass?? as i said we have a chandelier that takes really small bulbs that have 2 pins and are 10 watts( dont know their name) but i dont think cfl's or Led will work there.
Those are halogen bulbs. Not sure if these fall under the categorization of "incandescent"? They do contain a tungsten filament but they work in a different way to standard "incandescent" bulbs. Maybe they are safe because they were not invented "in the age of the steam engine"? :rolleyes:

I think this proposal is ridiculous. There are many reasons for not wanting CFL's in every light fitting. CFLs are flourescent and produce light by switching on and off many times a second - like a very fast strobe. I don't like them and only use them in very high use fittings e.g. hall and landing. I wouldn't have them in a living room, besides, the light they give off is very harsh. Just because its old technology doesn't mean it needs replacing.

LED's are becoming much more cost effective for smaller fittings, but again the light emitted is quite harsh.

For those with dimmer switches, check ou ebay.ie for 'Varilight Energy Saving Dimmable light bulb'

Sorry for dragging up an old tread but does anyone know if this EU ban is going ahead from 1st September?

I've been googling but can't find anything definite, I can only locate old articles that say its going to happen in '09. Someone told me its happening in UK on 1st Sept but presumably will be the same here as its an EU thing?

Thanks

Back