In the market for new lawnmower.

Up Rovers

Hi All,

Just looking for advice about purchasing a new lawnmower. Our previous one lasted about 20 years so it definitely does not owe us anything.

We have a preference for Mountfield but do feel that they have a lot more plastic in them these days especially in the grass collection box.

Some of the Mountfield appear to have Honda engines rather than the Briggs & Stratton that they used to have. Our repair guy used to recommend mowers with Honda engines but he has retired long ago.

Am thinking along the lines of something like this one https://www.diy.ie/departments/mountfield-sp53h-167cc-petrol-rotary-lawnmower/8008984817999_BQ.prd

Any other recommendations?

Maybe expand the size of garden , slope etc so can recommend suitable mowers... Husqvarna has served me well but order if key start mower has ever been developed...

Scope for no mow wildflower meadow..

@Up Rovers - what size garden / grass area area have you ? Have you laid out lawns or have you trees / flower beds etc within the grass area? Do you plan on cutting grass often (at least weekly) or just as needed ?

Ideally, for a petrol lawnmower in a large grass area, you should get a self propelling with a large grass box, with a range of height cuts and a wide blade cutting area. Will you be servicing yourself - need to factor cost for that into your budget too.

I bought an electric lawnmower in Argos - 1 year guarantee. After 10-11 months I wrecked/ totally warped the blade by accidentally going over a stone or similar while cutting the grass in the back garden. I took it back to argos more in hope than expectation and a replacement was provided with no questions asked. Needless to say I'll be back there for my next lawnmower.

we have a WELBANG petrol mower, 173cc Kholer engine, approx 600euro if I remember correctly. Would definitely recommend.

@Up Rovers - what size garden / grass area area have you ? Have you laid out lawns or have you trees / flower beds etc within the grass area? Do you plan on cutting grass often (at least weekly) or just as needed ?

Ideally, for a petrol lawnmower in a large grass area, you should get a self propelling with a large grass box, with a range of height cuts and a wide blade cutting area. Will you be servicing yourself - need to factor cost for that into your budget too.

Thanks for replies.

Approx. 500/600 sq. ft. all flat. A few trees and no flower beds. Probably cut every second week in summer.

Yes will definitely be going for self-propelling. Won't be servicing ourselves.

I have a Viking, self propelled petrol mower . they are quality, same owner as Stihl chainsaws.

It depends how much lawn you have. I mainly use a ride on mower, as I've to cut 10 acres of lawn.

Approx. 500/600 sq. ft. all flat. A few trees and no flower beds. Probably cut every second week in summer.

I had a Briggs & Stratton for at least 20 years that finally died last year.

This time I went for a cordless Makita and it’s great for my 900 Sq ft lawn. Lightweight so easy to manoeuvre around trees etc and easy to store. No petrol, servicing or electric cables to fall over.

I also have a cordless Makita hedge trimmer, strimmer and several power tools that use the same batteries and chargers.

I don’t expect it will last 20 years but it suits my needs perfectly.

https://www.handyhardware.ie/makita...h-batteries-and-dc18sh-twin-port-charger.html

Anyone suggesting a mower for OP needs to realise that his/her current choice is a mulching mower - no grass to collect or dispose of, scarify lawn every 2 or 3 years to break up "thatching".

get a robot if at all possible , much cheaper when everything taken into account and that was before the massive petrol price inflation

Thanks for replies.

500-600 sq foot? My back garden is about the same size. I use a smallish Bosch electric battery mower. About 150 quid. Would not bother with petrol for such a small plot. I second robot mower suggestion though.

Get a robotic mower. You'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner.

@PaddyBloggit

Don't know anything about them so just wondering if you can give some advice regarding:

1. What brand do you have as they appear to be quite expensive?

2. Do they work well on Council grass verges which are a little lumpy or hilly? Besides our own we cut elderly neighbours also.

3. Presumably you don't rake up the cuttings which would be a right pain?

4. Do you have any problems with the first cut of the season when the grass might be a little higher?

5. Any other general advice on their use?

Thanks in advance :)

What brand do you have as they appear to be quite expensive?
Husqvarna get the best reviews. Model will depend on the size of your garden. Installation isn't complicated, but faster if you get the supplier to do it.
2. Do they work well on Council grass verges which are a little lumpy or hilly? Besides our own we cut elderly neighbours also.
I'm not sure what a council verge is; but automowers cope fairly well with most slopes / uneven ground.

If there's a path / connection the automower can travel you could possibly set the guide wires around your neighbours garden as well. I wouldn't do it myself; your call.
3. Presumably you don't rake up the cuttings which would be a right pain?
Grass is cut very fine & clippings just drop on to lawn, which is good for the lawn & good for you!
4. Do you have any problems with the first cut of the season when the grass might be a little higher?
I set my automower to the highest setting & it manages fine.

Any other recommendations?
For a small garden you might consider a push-mower, something like this maybe https://www.diy.ie/departments/mcmp38-hand-propelled-lawnmower/1576038_BQ.prd

I've had a push-mower for 10+ years and find it quite handy to store and use.

If you cut someone else’s lawn unfortunately the auto mower probably won’t work! As it has a perimeter wire to drive it’s behaviour.

Getting an auto mower myself.

Back