In relation to Full Service History on a vehicle

Bosshog

I bought a 04 car 2 months ago from a major 'reputable' main dealer. During the sale i enquired about the service history and was told that it had FSH and (without asking) was also told that the car was originally sold new through them and serviced by them ever since.

After i picked up the car there were a few minor issues / loose ends that needed to be tied up, and it has to be said these minor issues did not go smoothly. One issue that is remaining is that i was never given a service log book with the car. I eventually got this last week but, it was a brand new book and with only 1 service record in it. This service was done in September just before i purchased.

When i went back in to enquire about this, i got a lot of blank stares and very little co-operation, i was pointing out that as far as this book states the car has only been serviced once in nearly 4 years, which in my world certainly does not constitute a Full Service History. I was then told that the car actually came in to them from a fleet and that they would call where they got it from but they "didnt think that they would still have the details". I was amazed at this as i was told that the car had a full history with that particular dealer. I was to hear back from them later that day, of course a week later i still hadnt heard back so i called them again today and was told by the same guy that someone else is dealing with it and they are on holidays!

anyway i could go on and on, basically i think i was 'oversold' the car and lied to about information they did not have, and now i am being given the run around.

where do i stand on this matter and if they cannot come up with the FSH should i expect some form of compensation (next service free perhaps?) as when i go to sell it on i will not be able to show FSH.

any advice appreciated

Last edited:
A couple of things, If the car was with a fleet company, most will service with a main dealer for warranty purpose and re-sale, so it probally will be with a main dealer just not the one you bought it from.

Most Franchise Main dealers won't retail these cars as milage is to high, rep cars etc. Is it defo a Franchise main dealer?

so it probally will be with a main dealer just not the one you bought it from.

i would be happy to know it had a full service history with ANY main dealer, however it is getting proof of this information from them that is the problem.

Most Franchise Main dealers won't retail these cars as milage is to high, rep cars etc. Is it defo a Franchise main dealer?

yes. one of the better known main dealers. milage was only 35k.

If the milage was only 35k, car maybe on 30k (long life) service intervals, then it would be pretty close to manufactures spec. What type of car is it? Petrol/diesel?

santa fe 2L petrol.

i take your point but i think you are missing my point here.

i was told it had a FSH with this particular dealer from the time they sold it new up to the time i bought it.
I bought the car with confidence thinking this was the case.

Then, when they could not provide the proof of FSH, the story changed as they told me it arrived in as a fleet car, and they only have a record of it being serviced once with them.
obviously i wasnt happy as i had been lied to and now im getting the run around.

I i enquired about the service history and was told that it had FSH and (without asking) was also told that the car was originally sold new through them.

I see your point, your missing your first service. From your first post as above, Salesman said " car was sold from us new" and "it has a FSH" but they didn't say it was service with them, technically they didn't lie to you. So all the have to do is show you is a reciept of where it was serviced before and then it will be sorted.

I see your point, your missing your first service. From your first post as above, Salesman said " car was sold from us new" and "it has a FSH" but they didn't say it was service with them, technically they didn't lie to you.

perhaps i didnt make it clear in my initial post. I was categorically told that they sold the car new, serviced it ever since and now selling on to me.

So all the have to do is show you is a reciept of where it was serviced before and then it will be sorted.

Yes!!! but this is the problem. They are telling me they may not be able to get this. Therefore not being able to prove to me it has a FSH, therefore not telling me the truth when i bought it.

We bought a car earlier on this year, and I would advise anyone who is told that there is a full service history to say 'prove it'. You get some odd answers...

Go legal I'm afriad.
Snap ! Sorry, but get tough.
First you were told there was a history. Now there is none. (bull**it!) Second, they said "serviced here" more crap. But most alarmingly, a fleet car with 35k on the clock after the guts of 4 years??????? (less than 10k a year......i smell a clocked car.
Land back on the froecourt with the car, the keys in your hand and demand a full refund for the car, or you are reporting the garage to the guards for selling a clocked car.
If there is a service history, you will get it that day.

If they said they can't get it for you, then I would ring there Franchise head office and the SIMI and report them. If you do go legal it slows everything down and could be years before you get anywhere.

Have you spoke to the Salesmanager or Dealer principal?

If they said they can't get it for you, then I would ring there Franchise head office and the SIMI and report them. If you do go legal it slows everything down and could be years before you get anywhere.

Have you spoke to the Salesmanager or Dealer principal?

I agree. It's better to exhaust the standard industry procedures first before going fully legal. Your solicitor, should you need to avail of one, will probably expect you to have taken these steps anyway.

I bought a 04 car 2 months ago from a major 'reputable' main dealer. During the sale i enquired about the service history and was told that it had FSH and (without asking) was also told that the car was originally sold new through them and serviced by them ever since.

After i picked up the car there were a few minor issues / loose ends that needed to be tied up, and it has to be said these minor issues did not go smoothly. One issue that is remaining is that i was never given a service log book with the car. I eventually got this last week but, it was a brand new book and with only 1 service record in it. This service was done in September just before i purchased.

When i went back in to enquire about this, i got a lot of blank stares and very little co-operation, i was pointing out that as far as this book states the car has only been serviced once in nearly 4 years, which in my world certainly does not constitute a Full Service History. I was then told that the car actually came in to them from a fleet and that they would call where they got it from but they "didnt think that they would still have the details". I was amazed at this as i was told that the car had a full history with that particular dealer. I was to hear back from them later that day, of course a week later i still hadnt heard back so i called them again today and was told by the same guy that someone else is dealing with it and they are on holidays!

anyway i could go on and on, basically i think i was 'oversold' the car and lied to about information they did not have, and now i am being given the run around.

where do i stand on this matter and if they cannot come up with the FSH should i expect some form of compensation (next service free perhaps?) as when i go to sell it on i will not be able to show FSH.

any advice appreciated

Are you having any problems with the car itself? It sounds as if the car was serviced when it reached the appropriate mileage (does anybody ever use the term 'running in' nowadays or am I showing my age?) and was 'serviced' (that is the 144-point check or whatever they do). If nothing was amiss with the car then you would receive a logbook with just the one stamp and one 'service' recorded.

Have I misunderstood? You seem to want a list of faults, problems and replacements but perhaps everything has been going smoothly and you've got a good vehicle.

Back