in marp - bank ignoring arrangement

After a lot of back & forth (which got us nowhere) we cancelled the dd & now pay the mortgage manually. .

Sorry to ask a stupid question but this has been mentioned a few times in this thread to ''pay manually''

How this work in practice?

Is it possible to set up a standing order into a mortgage?

There's an overdraft on my mortgage account so even if I pay just what I want to pay into that account each month, the bank can still take the overdraft off it as well, that means i will run up overdraft fees etc. So I want to ''pay manually'' but I don't know how to do it?

Hi Lucuma,

Stop the Direct Debit so the bank can no longer take what they want each month.

Then to "pay manually" you can either ring up and pay what you want by laser, do it by online banking or go into the branch and pay there. Depending on who your mortgage is with you could possibly pay in the post office as well.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to set up a Standing Order but I seem to recall that it costs a few euro to set one up or amend it so may not be the best way to go.

I'll be paying by phone for a while anyway, at least until I'm sure they give me back my tracker.

Hi Lucuma,

Stop the Direct Debit so the bank can no longer take what they want each month.

Then to "pay manually" you can either ring up and pay what you want by laser, do it by online banking or go into the branch and pay there. Depending on who your mortgage is with you could possibly pay in the post office as well.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to set up a Standing Order but I seem to recall that it costs a few euro to set one up or amend it so may not be the best way to go.

I'll be paying by phone for a while anyway, at least until I'm sure they give me back my tracker.

Thanks sooooo much for this reply. How can you do in online? I mean obviously I know how to transfer money into the current account from which the mortgage is usually drawn out of online. But how do I get the money from that current account, physically into the mortgage, if there's no direct debit? Can you set your mortgage up as a ''bill pay'' or something? Or can you set up a transfer online directly into the mortgage itself (i.e. not just into the current account that used to feed the mortgage)

As stated by the previous poster you can use laser card over the phone to make a payment or alternatively set up a standing order. You can also set up your mortgage account for direct transfers on your online banking. Just get the exact details from your mortgage provider and its fairly simple to set up!

As stated by the previous poster you can use laser card over the phone to make a payment or alternatively set up a standing order. You can also set up your mortgage account for direct transfers on your online banking. Just get the exact details from your mortgage provider and its fairly simple to set up!

It's not actually possible to set up a standing order into a mortgage account :-( Tried it today by putting in the sort code and account number of the mortgage, and it sent me the confirmation number by text and all but at the final stage it failed with this message:

SORRY. YOU HAVE NOT SUCCESSFULLY CREATED YOUR NEW STANDING ORDER. - *TRANSFER TO ACCOUNT IS NOT AVAILABLE

I also wasn't able to set up direct transfers into my mortgage either :-(
I used the mortgage account number and sort code from the mortgage account details that are available on my internet banking.

This should be possible. However I'm not familiar with the UB new clearance system. Ring up their help line and take the option for making a payment. Advise them of what you are trying to do and they should be able to talk you through the process. Alternatively call in to your local branch.

I'm with PTSB and it's not possible.

Seems my only options are pay using my card over the phone (not desirable as it means I have to talk to them once a month, I'm defaulting without their permission so would rather avoid these kind of conversations!) or else post cheques, which is a real pain. I'm not even sure who to make the cheque out to, just ''PTSB'' ?

Thanks for your advice!

Back