In divorce cases are men being treated fairly by the courts?

Peter54

Mods please feel free to move thread if it needs to be in the legal section.

My wife and I live apart. We have been legally seperated for some years now.

I have always been financially supportive and done everything that was required of me by the legal seperation. Our son never wanted for anything and generally there has been no problems once the flow of money has been going into my wifes home.

I'm looking to move abroad in search of employment. I am unemployed and broke and don't wish to spend the rest of my life here. The relationships with my son and ex are strained and have become even more so since my financial situation has disimproved.

My son is an adult now and no longer financially dependent on me.

My solicitor put me in contact with a barrister to discuss my proposal to divorce my wife. I told him the marriage was long over and
I was looking for a small settlement as she is clearly wealthy and I am clearly bankrupt.

I was told that I should simply seek a divorce but not look for a financial settlement as it is not the norm for a man to be in receipt of any payment; and it could also be seen as vindictive of me by the courts.

I said to the barrister that if I were a female I would probably be encouraged to, 'get every dime you can from him'. He almost agreed!

I would like to hear thoughts on the above please. Should I pursue with proceedings or leave well enough alone?

Depends on your circumstances. Did you give up work to stay at home with your son or in order to 'make a home' for you and your family, and, as a consequence of that, did your career or financial prospects suffer? Or iare you in some way disabled or prevented mentally or physically, whether because of your age or otherwise, from making your own money? If the answer to either these is yes, and someone would prudently state your wife is wealthy, then sure, make a claim. If the answer is no, think twice. Remember litigation is a gamble- can you afford to lose?

Back