Importing car from UK

Paul J

I am currently thinking of importing a car from the UK, more than likely a mondeo, and am currently trying to work out how to deal with all the stages involved. Perhaps some-one could offer some advise on the following issues.

I have been looking at cars on autotrader.co.uk, but they are spread all over the UK. Are than any big used car dealers (preferably near Holyhead) that I could head over to, view a range of cars in the one location, and choose one without having to travel around the country. Presumably there must be some dealership that has picked up on the opportunity to sell used cars to the Irish market.

If I locate a car, it is obviously advisable to get a HPI check done, and preferably get it looked over by a mechanic. Does anyone know how to go about getting a mechanic in the UK that can check a car at short notice.

I have noticed that a lot of dealers are stating they accept credit card. Does this mean than they will allow me purchase the car on my credit card (assuming limit is large enough)

How do I then deal with insuring the car. The car will obviously have an English reg at this point, so can I ring up my insurance company in Ireland, and ask them to transfer the new car onto the policy. Will they have an issue with the fact that it is a UK car, even though I intend paying the VRT and re-registering immediately on returning to Ireland.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Paul,

have you looked at the other car importing threads under car related issues for other peoples experience by There is some good advice there

Also, a very good discussion on boards.ie about car importing

WRT HP and mechanic checks - get the RAC or AA/Dekra to do a test drive and HP check before buying

Your insurance will cover you on an English reg no problem

As for dealerships - in autotrader put in the post code for Holyhead and the search results will then give you miles distance from Holyhead for each car - remember the road network in UK is excellent so I would guess that anything up to 150 / 180 miles away from Holyhead is driveable within 3 hours

Some dealers will get the car to holyhead for you (for a price per mile normaly)

Why not fly over the the nearest airport to the dealer and drive it back yourself, get the dealer to meet out at the airport, but i would drive back to his garage before doing any deals just incase he's not a dealer.

payment options: Stg draft cheque.
paypal.
bank transfer
good old cash!

mc-BigE said:
Why not fly over the the nearest airport to the dealer and drive it back yourself

Did this myself a couple of weeks ago - breakfast over there and back in time for dinner. Definitely the way to go.

Roy

I myself am currently living in the sheffield area and have just changed from a beautiful volvo s60 to a nissan x-trail. depending on what car you'd like to get there are great deals to be had.
Insurance will not be a problem, just call your insurer when you purchase. Another thing is that sometimes the dealer will not release a car for a couple of days and may make a song and dance about taxing it(best to bring over your irisk tax disks, etc) just for show. But they'll know what you're about when they hear the accent.
Definately worth getting a hpi check done- FSH doesn't cut the mustard over here as i nearly bought an insurance write-off with FSH and 2 years manufacurers warranty left.

i flew over to doncaster last month with ryanair and picked up my sports car.drove to HH and was back home the following morning.

Back