Importing a used Campervan from the UK

SN9

Hi, we are intending to import a used campervan from the UK.
We are buying it from a business, and therefore we shoudl be able to relaim the VAT in the UK - effectively we are buying it ex-VAT (Cost 49,999, ex VAT 41,666)

I've been trying to get information from Revenue, however they haven't been very forthcoming with responses (surprisingly, as I usually find them fantastically efficient and helpful).

Bringing it into Ireland, I understand we have 3 things to consider:
1. Irish VAT at 23%. I'm concerned that we'll be paying 49,999 and then reclaiming the 8,333 VAT in the UK. Will we have to pay Irish VAT on 49,999 or on 41,666?
2. Irish Import Duty which is 10% on vehicles. As the vehicle was manufactured in Germany, and was brought into the UK fewer than 3 years ago, I understand I may be able to avail of Returned Goods Relief, and not have to pay this. However the conditions are stringent, and the vehicle must be unmodified. It looks like even new tyres can invalidate the claim!
3. VRT at 13% of the Irish value.

Questions:
1. Am I naive in thinking I might be able to complete the importation paperwork myself? Should I employ a customs agent for this?
2. What do I need to do to claim the Returned Goods Relief?
3. Is there any way I can find out what the Irish value of the vehicle would be, i.e. how much my VRT would be??? I know there's a look-up for cars, but again Revenue haven't been at all helpful in suggesting how they might value it, even though I've sent them the make, model, year, that it's in good condition, and the mileage.

Hoping that someone here has been through this and can provide some guidance!!

Thank you!!!

If the camper log book was registered in NI prior to December 2020 you do not need assistance and it's simply 13.3% of value (as determined by revenue) in VRT and nothing else due.
If not, it would surely be more economical to buy a similar vehicle from Germany - there is a massive market there and then you'd have to only pay 13.3% as above.
The invoice amount / amount you pay is irrelevant for VRT as you have noted. For campers, it is simply a roll of the dice and then you have the oppurtinty to appeal if (after having paid initially).

It is not a northern ireland import, it is registered in mainland uk.
I don't think it's more economical to import from Germany - only difference should be the 3% VAT difference. And with Germany I'd get a left hand drive and have a language barrier, and much higher transportation costs to get it back.
Have you got experience of importing from the UK?
Thank you

I don't think it's more economical to import from Germany - only difference should be the 3% VAT difference. And with Germany I'd get a left hand drive and have a language barrier, and much higher transportation costs to get it back.
They have good English-speakers in Germany, they sell r/h drives cars, all EU warranties for vehicle sales apply, and you don't have to worry about currency conversions. Sounds like a good deal to me.

They have good English-speakers in Germany, they sell r/h drives cars, all EU warranties for vehicle sales apply, and you don't have to worry about currency conversions. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Luckily sterling is nice and weak at the moment

We'd be doing well to find the right van second hand in Germany, as RHD. Also we dont have the time to drive it across the continent
Anyways, as i said, the 2 year old van we're buying from GB is exempt from import duty, we can reclaim uk vat, so all we have to pay to import is the 3% VAT difference and vrt. The paperwork is a pain but that's ok

The UK seller will give you an invoice with zero vat rating. Therefore you can't reclaim what you didn't pay originally. VRT will look at cost landed in Ireland so cost in UK plus import duty. Import duty changes depending on age of vehicle so check this out before you travel. If in doubt check with a customs clearance agent.

And with Germany I'd get a left hand drive
I have a family friend with a LHD camper van imported and registered in Ireland. He does the majority of touring on the continent so it makes more sense. So consider it if you intend long spells outside Ireland or the UK.

Driving a LHD on the left is not really much of a burden anyway. You won't be overtaking anyway in a camper van.

Back