Importing a car from N. Ireland

Could you tell me on what grounds he appealed. I'm looking at a 2010 car which is advertised at E11,110, and the vrt at 23% is calculated at E3551, OMSP 15,439. If carzone or one of those sites has a similar car valued much higher, how do you prove the vrt should be lower? Sorry, I'm a newbie at this so I'm trying to get as much info as possible.

Generally it's when the likes of carzone, etc., have similar spec'd cars at a significantly lower price than Revenue's OMSP that people appeal.

So in the above case, if cars with the same spec, similar mileage, age and condition are on sale for €13,500, you could appeal that Revenue's €15,439 is too high, and you should pay 23% of the €13.5k rather that the €15.5k (€3,105 rather than €3,551).

If carzone has cars for sale for more than Revenue's OMSP, say nothing!

He appealed it on the basis that his car a audi 08 a6 was overvalued to the value of 21546 euro. He then indicated that the audi garage had valued the vehicle at 15000 incl vat & vrt. However there was also slight damage to the door of his car and the repair estimate came to 1200 incl vat.
Therefore he felt that the unique history of his vehicle was not taken into account.
He viewed other audi a6s of the same year from both private sellers and garages. Some were priced slightly higher than his estimate and others lower.
he made his appeal supplying proof of payment of VRT, garage valuation of vehicle, advertisements for similar vehicles, photos of the damaged door, together with estimate of repair and was refunded 2300. Hope this helps

Back