Implications for not paying NPPR?

So did I, but it didn't stop me noticing the introduction of NPPR charge and paying it, even though I don't even live in Ireland!

The charge itself - 200 euro per year - is NOT extortionate (yet), it's actually quite small. As to late payment fines - it's very easy to avoid them - just by paying the charge on time:)

That's great for you Greta it's a pity the entire world isn't as organised and together as you :)

If you've read the thread you'll see that my friend owes the fines for 2009 and 2010. He's aware of how to avoid them, the problem is that he wasn't aware of how extortionate the fines are and they have now built up to 1040 euro.

So does anyone know of a way to pay the 200 euro for 2009 and 2010 and put off paying the fine part? My friend tried to do it via the website but it won't allow it.

If he wants to do it online, he has to pay all of what he owes. The website calculates what you owe, if there is a fine owing, and that is what it expects you to pay. Found myself in that very same boat last year. If he wants to pay less than that, I suggest he goes in to the office of the local authority to whom he owes the money, and see if they will accept a check for the lesser amount for now. They may say yes, they may say no, but there has to be a method of payment and good old fashioned human interaction for people who do not have access to the internet.

The word extortionate is being bandied about here quite a bit...

Surely the point of a financial penalty such as the €20p.m. on the NPPR is to act as a deterrent to ensure that people do not do exactly what the OP originally came on here to ask about?

If every owner of an NPPR just decided to just not pay the thing at all, and deal with it in (say) ten years time when selling the property, then the NPPR charge wouldn't be able to achieve it's objective, which is to get money into the exchequer ASAP.

Same story as Greta here, many years abroad and NPPR paid on time. No problem paying it either, just hope the money wasn't wasted by the county council. They clean the roads, provide as much water as one wants and empty the bins etc. Someone has to pay for those services.

The PRTB thing is what scared me, lot scarier than the NPPR. Which I didn't fully realise at the time even though I began to register in 2005 (prior to the mortgage interest rule)

If I were your friend I would forth with send a registered letter with 3 cheques for each year of the NPPR, clearly stating that the amounts are for the NPPR for each year and then he will be paying them by instalment (say 20 euro a month) until the penalty is cleared and asking can he do this by direct debit. Then the penalty stops increasing and he tackles the arrears.

If I were your friend I would forth with send a registered letter with 3 cheques for each year of the NPPR, clearly stating that the amounts are for the NPPR for each year and then he will be paying them by instalment (say 20 euro a month) until the penalty is cleared and asking can he do this by direct debit. Then the penalty stops increasing and he tackles the arrears.

Thanks Bronte that's good advice I'll get him to look into it.

Same story as Greta here, many years abroad and NPPR paid on time. No problem paying it either, just hope the money wasn't wasted by the county council. They clean the roads, provide as much water as one wants and empty the bins etc. Someone has to pay for those services.

The PRTB thing is what scared me, lot scarier than the NPPR. Which I didn't fully realise at the time even though I began to register in 2005 (prior to the mortgage interest rule)

Not round here they don't.

I have to buy tokens to get my bins emptied.

Plus they will soon be charging me for my poor quality water supply too.

I have to buy tokens to get my bins emptied.
Do you seriously think they actually make money by charging you 3 quid a bag and collect it at your doorstep ? Try doing it yourself and bring the rubbish to the dump once a week. Cost of time, travel and dumping would be a lot more.

Do you seriously think they actually make money by charging you 3 quid a bag and collect it at your doorstep ? Try doing it yourself and bring the rubbish to the dump once a week. Cost of time, travel and dumping would be a lot more.

All waste collection services in my neck of the woods are done by competing private contractors. As far as I'm aware, these services are not subsidised by the State.

As McGibney above me said, my waste is collected by a private company, not the local council.

Does your local council collect your waste?

I have them collected by the council alright. Point taken if you are paying privately but unfortunately councils need money to be run. Granted, probably quite badly, but believe it or not they actually do provide a litter service on the street and do some general road repairs, maintenance etc.

if a couple have two houses.
Each run as a holiday guest house
Business, insurance, secuity etc demand one spouse live in each house
Is NPPR chargeable on either of these houses ?

Back