Impact of inheritance on welfare payments

guerngirl

Hypothetical situation - someone who is living in a corporation flat on welfare with no employment and no savings then inherits 250,000€.

What impact does this have in terms of tax / welfare payments?

Presumably that person would not be entitled to welfare, rent allowance, medical card etc etc anymore? Also would they have to start paying market rental rates to the corporation if they stayed living in the corporation flat?
Thank you.

What exactly do you mean by "on welfare"?
What payment(s)?
As a general rule benefits are PRSI linked and not means tested while allowances are means tested.
Impossible to answer the question without more info.
Other than to post this:

Sorry to clarify further, I mean someone living in social housing, entitled to the full medical card and full rent allowance (probably HAP but I’m not sure). I’m not sure if that helps?

Sorry to clarify further, I mean someone living in social housing, entitled to the full medical card and full rent allowance (probably HAP but I’m not sure). I’m not sure if that helps?
Not certain. Low rent, full medical card, doesn’t work. Back to school allowance etc.
As per the links that I posted, it's easy enough to check what payments are subject to a means test and consequently might be impacted by a windfall.

As per the links that I posted, it's easy enough to check what payments are subject to a means test and consequently might be impacted by a windfall.
Ok thank you, that makes sense. So they would need to work out which benefits are means tested that they receive.

So they would need to work out which benefits are means tested that they receive.

Bear in mind that for every allowance that they are receiving they would has signed an undertaking to Social Welfare (and/or their local council) that they would inform them if their financial circumstances changed. If they don't do this then they could be prosecuted.

Back