Immigration at Dublin Airport

Personally, I'd be at the airport not long after 6am to allow time for check-in, security, immigration, security (again) and getting to your gate. I arrived at 8:40am for an 11am flight and was comfortably on time but the queue for immigration was pretty short. Other times it's been a lot longer.

The queues for check-in can be pretty horrific - check-in online if you can.

Also note that there's almost no place to eat once you enter the USPC area so if you want breakfast, you'll need to get it before then.

Check whether your flight allows pre-clearance in Dublin. I flew to Boston last year (Aer Lingus, lunchtime flight), the flight wasn't one of those that allowed pre-clearance so we had to clear immigration when we arrived in Boston.

I'm travelling to USA from Dublin on a 9am flight. How long should I allow for immigration etc:confused:

Flights before noon routinely clear immigration & customs in Dublin but do double check, the list of pre-clearing flights is on the airport website.

The advice is still to check in 3 hours before a trans-Atlantic flight and I wouldn't cut it short. The days of people getting to customs & immigration late and being allowed skip the queue are well gone. There are also a number of US flights travelling close to each other timewise at that time in the day and with 200+ on each flight, delays can be significant.

Worst case scenario with getting there early is that you spend time sitting at the gate. A lot more relaxing than panicking in a queue that you will miss your flight.

Back