If you are still with UB or KBC, You may want to fix now...

SPC100

IMO, The interest rates seem to be rising and expected to rise further, some irish banks have not yet increased their rates.

If you try to switch from UB, you risk that your destination bank will have increased the rate before you get there

UB appear to have good value in their 5 & 2 year rates at the moment.

e.g. 5 year mortgage > 250k, ltv <80% 2.2%

Probably you will want to switch when the five years is up, but it at least buys you some time and a decent rate.

Moderator's notes:
This thread discusses the best ways to contact Ulster Bank if you want to break and re-fix, and how long it typically takes to do.

Existing KBC mortgage customers are still allowed to re-fix with KBC, but other posters on this site have said that the process is slow at the moment, possibly 8 weeks or longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a similar position, on 2.25% now. Fixed until early 2025 with Ulster but would like security of a longer term. Repayments currently at €685. If I go 10 yrs fixed with UB. This would move to €735 at 2.8%.(so 50 extra a month) Breakage fee confirmed at €0 this week. could also do 5yrs at 2.35% but I think I may regret it. (€10 extra per month)

about 27yrs remaining but would hope to start overpayments soon also as repayments are very manageable. We also wouldn’t be in a great position to switch for the foreseeable due to other factors so perhaps 10yr fixed avoiding future poor PTSB rates and inability to move bank is the smart play….

Any comments welcome

If I go 10 yrs fixed with UB. This would move to €735 at 2.8%.(so 50 extra a month) Breakage fee confirmed at €0 this week. could also do 5yrs at 2.35% but I think I may regret it. (€10 extra per month)
Don't try to second guess interest rates, just fix for the period you feel you need the security of a fixed rate.

Both rates look like good value right now and are unlikely to last btw.

Same here - 5 Year Fixed > 250k, ltv >70%/<80% and got 2.2%

Not the cheapest as I could have full switched to PTSB and got Cashback - @Paul F and thanks for your assistance with the number crunching

Sticking with UB was certainly the easiest option though! Was as simple as a Signature.

Back