If you are insured with Setanta Insurance

I'd take anything that people give approx times of with a pinch of salt. There isn't one broker than could have sold Setanta as a new policy in March as they werent accepting new business.

Your broker is able to pull your cert from their website as it is was previously generated and therefore available to download. However Setanta policies are not technically cancelled until they give the necessary letter confirming cancellation. Therefore at this point in time your cancellation no claims bonus is unlikely to have already been generated and this therefore unavailable.

Generally a new insurer following their normal procedure would not accept a no claims bonus dated from your last renewal date as it doesnt state any claims you could have had in the intervening period.

I mean unpaid staff because if a company goes into liquidation its likely their staff havent been paid either. So they won't be particularly helpful to the barrage of brokers calling them.

Just a note on this re no claims bonus cert. I have a competitive quote online with another company and they tell me if I take out my insurance online with them I won't need a cert as it is a paperless transaction and I spoke to them on the phone and all calls are recorded so it sounds like I should be able to go ahead and buy this policy. May be of use to somebody else.

You will need a no claims bonus. I suspect there is crossed wires here. No insurer will take you on without evidence of your driving history or no claims bonus - regardless of whether your policy is incepted online.

They will let you buy the policy and then look for your documentation within a certain time-frame e.g. copy of your drivers licence, NCB. All things they must have.

Whilst I gather your heart is in the right place, this isn't good advice to be giving if you are not 100% in your facts.

You will need a no claims bonus. I suspect there is crossed wires here. No insurer will take you on without evidence of your driving history or no claims bonus - regardless of whether your policy is incepted online.

They will let you buy the policy and then look for your documentation within a certain time-frame e.g. copy of your drivers licence, NCB. All things they must have.

Whilst I gather your heart is in the right place, this isn't good advice to be giving if you are not 100% in your facts.
I am only passing on the info I was given by this company (Aviva). They have our driver's licence's numbers so that is covered. I told them my problem re my no claims bonus cert from Setanta. The agent check with her supervisor and came back with the info I stated above. I do not wish to mislead anyone as i know how stressful it is to get insurance in place in such a short time frame. I am getting zero help from my broker other then a quote almost 3 times the quote I got online with the same company.

Myself and my son unfortunately have insurance with Setanta. Son having paid 700 euro in February so obviously very aggrieved. However I paid my insurance with my credit card. I am wondering have I any comeback.

Insurance Broker also indicated in the terms of business that " in making our recommendations we considered many factors but not limited to the following: Scope of cover provided, The Security of the Insurer, Competitiveness of premiums and claims service provided by the Insurer."

Any help appreciated

How many of the 100+ brokers who put clients with Setanta noted to their clients about (i) the higher commissions the brokers were being paid to put their business to Setanta, (ii) the strangeness of them being regulated in Malta and the risks that went with that, (iii) the unusually cheap premiums and the risks that went with that?

Are brokers conflicted when one company pays them a higher commission than another. Are they WHAT? How many have declared this to their clients?

As for customers, how many times do they have to learn the hard way that the cheapest price is usually at the cost of something else.

Back