If someone Slipped & was Injured - Who's Responsible

pudds

1. If someone slipped and injured themselves on the tiled area outside a privately owned house as per picture, who would be responsible.

On the site planning map the boundary line after house was bought, the tiled area is clearly 'excluded'

2. Occupants are becoming increasingly unable to constantly keep area safe, from damp and moss etc and snow/ice due to disability and ageing.

Ex council house.

any advice appreciated.

[broken link removed]

Can they put up a fence?

Salt should do the trick for ice. Vinegar for moss.

Just be careful that the tiles won't be damaged by salt - I destroyed some of the path outside my house during the cold spell a couple of years ago - the salt just ate through the cement.

If someone slipped and injured themselves on the tiled area outside a privately owned house as per picture, who would be responsible?

Accidents happen. Apart from the unfortunate person that fell I cant see who else might be responsible.

Can they put up a fence?

Only if council gave permission and how likely is that as tiled area was not included in boundary line for sale of house.

Accidents happen. Apart from the unfortunate person that fell I cant see who else might be responsible.
If excess moss and algae/ snow or ice was present could occupier be held responsible, under 'a duty of care to keep public areas outside your house safe' for public use.

Even though occupants maybe not be capable of full-filling this condition any longer.

Put some concrete planters along the boundary line.
Not an option in this location, as its not safe to leave even your bin out as you wouldn't know where it might end up the next day.

Normal house insurance addresses Public Liability in just such cases. However, I'm not sure if the area is not the house-owner's property according to the deeds whether this applies in this instance.

Is the property owner liable for maintaining the public walkway around the home?

Is this stated in the purchase contract/title deeds?

Unless it is, I cannot see the property owner being responsible for accidents on the public thoroughfare.

Put a sign up. Tiles may be slippy in adverse weather conditions. This is how restaurants cover themselves with wet floors etc.

I think it is as simple as follows: If you neither own nor occupy the area in question then you are not legally liable for any accidents that may occur in that area. The local council should be able to confirm if it is their responsibility to maintain the area.

I think it is as simple as follows: If you neither own nor occupy the area in question then you are not legally liable for any accidents that may occur in that area. The local council should be able to confirm if it is their responsibility to maintain the area.

I got confirmation in writing from them stating it was their responsibility, so happy with that.

thanks to everyone for all your replies. :)

Back