If mother dies in childbirth Is the father entitled to "maternity" leave?

legend99

This came up at lunchtime and we made the assumption that the Dad would be entitled to "maternity leave" in place of the mother.
I was checking OASIS and although i confirmed thar if a male is the sole person adopting a child that he can take adoptive leave, i didn't find any info on what happens if the mom dies in a successful child birth...anyone know?

Re: What happens if female dies in childbirth?

Is the eligibility for maternity benefit not related to the woman's PRSI contributions, so therefore how could this be transferrable?

Are you referring to leave from work ??? or maternity benefit payments ???

I presume maternity benefit would not be transferrable,
As tragic an event that would be, maternity leave not only serves for a new born child to be cared for in its first few months at home but also as recuperation for the mother having given birth, so I would not assume your employer would be under obligation to give the father paid or even for that matter unpaid leave, however you would assume in this day and age a compassionate employer would assist their employer as best they could.

from my link above you are defo entitled to some leave...seems that if it happens before 16th week you can go on leave up til 16th week. If it happens before 24th week after 16th week you can go on leave til 24th week.

thats my reading of it, but I always find law docs. hard to read.

Hi ledgend,
It looks like you are correct.

MATERNITY PROTECTION (AMENDMENT) ACT 2004 said:
10.—Section 16 of the Principal Act is amended—
‘‘(1) If a woman who has been delivered of a living
child (in this section referred to as ‘the mother’) dies at
any time before the expiry of the twenty-fourth week following
the week of her confinement, the father of the
child (if he is employed under a contract of employment)
shall be entitled in accordance with this section to leave
from his employment
for a period ending as follows—
(a) if the mother dies before the expiry of the sixteenth
week following the week of her confinement,
the period ends, subject to section
16B, at the end of that sixteenth week, and
(b) if the mother dies at any time after the expiry of
that sixteenth week, the period ends, subject
to sections 16A and 16B, at the end of the
twenty-fourth week
following the week of her
confinement.’’,

ajapale

Molly said:
I would not assume your employer would be under obligation to give the father paid or even for that matter unpaid leave,

Is there not parental leave where either parent is entitled to certain time off (unpaid) before the child reaches a certain age? Does anyone know if an employer could refuse an employee parental leave?

Sorry Capaill,

It seems I did not notice your previous post before I made my last post.

No Problem Joe

Accorsing to Oasis
"Normally the child must be under 5 years of age in order to avail of parental leave"
"Employees with one year's service are entitled to take parental leave"

As mmclo points out parential leave is unpaid and you are not entitled to any social welfare payments.
C

Joe1234 said:
Is there not parental leave where either parent is entitled to certain time off (unpaid) before the child reaches a certain age? Does anyone know if an employer could refuse an employee parental leave?

They can make you defer it twice I think for up to 6 months. Additionaly, many employers have minimum blocks in which you can take it. I.E. 4 or 6 weeks at a time. rather than taking say 1 day a week for a year.

but there are situations in which you can take 'force majeure' leave, which I've used for family emergencies, having to bring the child to the hospital etc. Don't know if it's paid or not though as I haven't checked the pay packet at the end of the month.

Have taken force majeur leave and was paid as normal. However the company insisted that force majeur would only be granted for one day as the emergency was no longer unexpected by the second day. Try explaining that to a newborn!

Eoghanlk

Think there have been some chages to parental leave recently. May be now up to 8 years and maybe 12 for child with disability...BUT STILL UNPAID

Accorsing to Oasis
"Normally the child must be under 5 years of age in order to avail of parental leave"
"Employees with one year's service are entitled to take parental leave"

As mmclo points out parential leave is unpaid and you are not entitled to any social welfare payments.
C[/QUOTE]

I belive that the father is allowed to take the maternity benefit/leave (nearly sures its in the handbook the the mother receives when she applies to take maternity benefit)

I hope the following clarifies the situation viz-a-vie a father claiming maternity benefit and maternity leave in the event of the death of the mother:

Father's entitlement to leave

In the event of the death of the mother within 22 weeks of the birth of a living child, the father has certain leave entitlements. Where it is certified by his employer that a man who satisfies the contribution conditions is entitled to leave under the Maternity Protection Act, then he shall be entitled to benefit similar to if he was a woman who was entitled to maternity leave.

An employee who receives Health and Safety Benefit while pregnant is deemed to satisfy the PRSI contributions for Maternity Benefit.

Under the Maternity Protection Act, 1994, the woman must give her employer at least 4 weeks written notice of her intention to take maternity leave. She must also advise her employer 4 weeks in advance of returning to work and confirm this notification (again in writing) 2 weeks before she expects to return.

Parental Leave
On another note, there is much confusion regarding the issue parental leave from employment. The law on Parental Leave HAS NOT CHANGED and the provisions as set down in the Parental Leave Act 1998 remains in force. That is, the child must still be under 5 years of age in order for you to qualify. Again to clarify, the message posted earlier saying the law on Parental Leave had changed to cover older children is wrong.

The proposed Parental Leave Act 2005 does make revisions to the existing age limit (i.e., increasing it). The new law is currently going through the Houses of the Oireachtas and staff in the Law Reform Division had hoped the amended law would be in place by the end of this summer. Since the Dail is currently on recess however, this is unlikely to occur until the Oireachtas re-convenes.

The new Parental Leave Act may be in place before the end of 2005 but there is no specific date of implementation yet. So, if you are applying for Parental Leave anytime soon, bear in mind that your child must be aged under 5 years (can be extended to older children in the case of adopted children, etc.). The Oasis document referenced in postings above is a good source of information.

If you have any questions on your rights in relation to Parental Leave - contact the Equality Authority who have responsibility for overseeing the implementation of the law. (See http://www.equality.ie).

Hope this has clarified matters.

Last edited:
"In the event of the death of the mother within 22 weeks of the birth of a living child, the father has certain leave entitlements. Where it is certified by his employer that a man who satisfies the contribution conditions is entitled to leave under the Maternity Protection Act, then he shall be entitled to benefit similar to if he was a woman who was entitled to maternity leave.

An employee who receives Health and Safety Benefit while pregnant is deemed to satisfy the PRSI contributions for Maternity Benefit.

Under the Maternity Protection Act, 1994, the woman must give her employer at least 4 weeks written notice of her intention to take maternity leave. She must also advise her employer 4 weeks in advance of returning to work and confirm this notification (again in writing) 2 weeks before she expects to return."

God that has confused me even more. The first paragraph just states the man will have benefits...does that mean he takes over the remaining maternity leave AND maternity benefit?

Second paragraph...what the hell is Health and Safety Benefit !!!

health and safety is give to a pregnant women before maternity leave starts
if she works in an environment that could be dangerous to her unborn child and there is no alternative work available then she can claim Health and Safery benefit until her maternity leave starts

say a women fire fighter or someone working with dangerous chemicals

Back