If mileage the same is it better value to go for newer car

star32

Am looking at buying an skoda octavia...

Which would be better value for money...2002 with 50,000 for €4000 or a 2004 with 50,000 for €5000-€5500 approx...

Would prefer to spend the €4000 on it as have to watch the pennies at moment..is it worth the extra €1000 for going up 2 years if mileage the same...

I think there are 2 schools of thought....I'd personally go for the cheaper option...I've never really been sucked into the 'years' thing especially when it comes to a used car....mileage, condition and service history are my main criteria
1/ its within your budget (always stick to your budget) ...no doubt there's some bartering to be done to get t even cheaper...
2/ I suspect you're planning to own it for a few years...so really in 2012 (for example) the difference in value between the 2 cars is going to be negligable if they had similar miles...afterall in a few years ..whats gonna be the difference in a 11 year old car and a 9 year old car to another buyer if you're selling
3/ If all things are equal and they have both got good service histories, have recent NCTs, in good presentable order....I'd tend to go for the cheaper one....
In the current climate you can barter hard and if in your mind you want the newer car then I guess it doesn't do you any harm to put your offer of 4000euro in and see what they say

thanks for the good advice...my partner doesnt drive so am at a lost most times on what to do in situations like this...was leaning towards the 2002 so will go for it...

I would not particularly go for a car based on age (unless I know its a newer model) Tend to put more weight on the mileage. Go look at both though - you might then decide to spend the extra k if it was in much better condition.

If you were keeping it for 3 years or more, I would be tempted by the newer model though.

1,000 to 1,500 is not a lot to buy 2 years. I would definitely go for the newer one for the small premium. That's assuming that both are in a relative similar condition.

price up north, so much cheaper and garages will help you import.

octavias not so popular up there tho

My understanding is that most wear and tear on an engine occurs just after start up before the engine has been fully lubricated. Then you are getting metal on metal. Secondly the engine cleaning cycle needs a minimum time to cycle completely. So short runs - ie school mom - are bad.
Most mechanics don't like to see a car with less than 8K per annum. Anything less than that on an older car and then engine is likely to have greater wear than a 20k pa reps car.
A friend of mine sold big Caterpillar machines. They would prefer one that ran 24 hours per day rather than one that operated for an eight day. They believed that the machine that had the more starts had the greater engine wear.
So I would look at average mileage pa and if that is over say 8k then go for the lowest. Also try to understand the type of driving the car had. Short urban runs are not as good.

Back