Idiotic An Post fee charging for "PO box"

Vanilla

I want a P.O. Box for a year- so if I pay for it in January it will cost €230 for the year. If I pay for it in July it will cost €115 to the end of the year. And each month there after it will cost €115 to the end of the year. So if I take it in October that means I pay €115 for three months. But if I pay for it in January that means I pay €230 for 12 months. So almost forty euro per month versus nineteen euro per month. And no, you can't take it for a year from October- only till end of year. I know it's only a small thing but it is so annoying.

Re: Idiotic An Post fee charging

Don't even be too sure that their 'service' will function properly either. :rolleyes:

Wonder if they're still charging half price for 2007 calendars?

Roll on full postal liberalisation. Think its 2009.

Have you tried Postnet, Mailboxs etc?

I sent a letter by express post monday lunchtime and it hit the otherside of the country at office opening time on Tuesday. Cost a fiver but it worked.

Its quite sad really. They're in the dark ages when it comes to matters like this.

Their post offices in Dublin are providing more and more services as time goes by but same number of staff and facilites so the queues get longer and longer. Wouldn't dare go near our local offices on Fridays because of pensions etc. Children's allowance day is same.

I can't believe that some large, urban POs still close for lunch.

From What I can see An Post don't seem to want to provide boxes to the public. €230 a year is very expensive. Also not every PO can offer the service.

I sent a letter by express post monday lunchtime and it hit the otherside of the country at office opening time on Tuesday. Cost a fiver but it worked.

I needed to send loan offers urgently for a client recently and I went to the PO personally to see what was the fastest way to do it. I enquired about swiftpost and the lady working there told me if I sent it swiftpost ( from Kerry to Dublin) it would take two days, if I sent it ordinary post it would more than likely get there next day. She was right!

I didn't know that not all post offices offer the PO Box service, I'd better enquire further about this aspect, thanks bond.

Recently all of post in my area ( North Kerry) was going to the sorting office in Cork before being sent on which was adding to delays. I would have thought they could sort it in Tralee or Killarney.

A few years back my business bank statements were delivered to the wrong private address and opened by the person at that address despite being very very clearly marked for me. I complained to An Post and didn't even get a response worth talking about.

When I rang about the PO Box pricing system ( sure there was a mistake) the response was ' sure you're not the only person who has complained' from the otherwise perfectly agreeable man on the other end of the phone...

i went into the gpo today in galway with stuff to send and asked the lad behind the counter for an A4 envelope "eh, no. we dont sell them here" was the response!

In a post office??

nice work lads. keep up the good work.

i went into the gpo today in galway with stuff to send and asked the lad behind the counter for an A4 envelope "eh, no. we dont sell them here" was the response!

In a post office??

nice work lads. keep up the good work.

Were you not in a Post Office instead of a stationary shop?

Were you not in a Post Office instead of a stationary shop?

My local post office does sells envelopes, birthday cards, book marks and also has a book swap shelf where you bring a book and then you can take a book. It is not a stationary shop. Just has those few extras that one might need when you visit a post office. :). They also have a calligraphy writing service and a photo copying service.

My local post office does sells envelopes, birthday cards, book marks and also has a book swap shelf where you bring a book and then you can take a book. It is not a stationary shop. Just has those few extras that one might need when you visit a post office. :). They also have a calligraphy writing service and a photo copying service.

Very interesting. I've only ever seen Post Offices like that in the UK. Where are you based Megan?

Smaller post-offices i.e. ran as a retail outlet and staffed by a person under contract usually stock stationery items as a convenience and an encouragement to attract customers. The bigger post-offices which are staffed by An Post personnel don't stock much stationery - just normal sized envelopes, registered envelopes etc. Some years ago these offices had 'postshops' which stocked all kinds of stationery but they weren't viable so 'postshops'were discontinued.

Only organisation that I ever heard of reprimanding their staff for coming in TOO EARLY to sort and deliver post for their delivery route.

Back