Ideas for the back yard design or requirements.

joshea

Hi :)

I have just completed a new build.

In the process of designing/deciding on the layout of my back yard and garage layout .:confused:

Would be greatful if people would add to a list of
things to do or things not to do.

Its a half acre site in the country.

Cheers in advance:)

What do you mean by back yard? Do you mean the whole back garden, or just a utility area for bins, washing line, storage etc?

As sarahMC said how big is the garden?

I'd like a garage that would hold a car in the winter.

Do you have kids. My friend tarmacked her driveway when her kids were younger so that they could play on their bikes when they small. When they got older she put down nice gravel.

While her garage wasn't big enough for a car, it had a freezer, a large clothes airer (which she used in the winter), plenty of sheves for 'stuff' like wellies, lawnmowers and bikes. It kept the house tidy.

I'll love a carport or a covered area for an outdoor clothes line

Make sure you leave a enough area for turning, esp if trailers/large vans/tractors etc.

Our house, you can drive right around. Have a friends house who you need to do more than a three point turn to get out if you go to the back door, (its a nightmare to reverse out to front drive). they have a half acre site also, so very poor planning.

Draw up a plan. I got one done by a landscaper for under €200. It can cost more depending on the amount of horticultural detail you need. Once you have your plan it's time to get down to business. Try and have all the structural work done first.
Start at the back and work towards the front. Tarmac is the last thing you should do. You don't want trucks and excavators rolling across new tarmac.
Spend time putting down a good quality lawn with good drainage. Cover most of the area with grass. You can then decide what you want to plant and where you want to install beds.
My lawn is about half the size it was when I moved in 5 years ago. I'm slowly reclaiming the area with rockeries and flowerbeds. No shortage of stones!

space is not an issue

Thanks to all for these simply but very important ideas :)
Keep them coming !!! :)

If space is not an issue, having a big garage will never go unused.

Best to have the garage entrance door near as possible to the utility door.

You should consider an open style shed to cover the clother line. its so good to hang the clothes out knowing that they are covered from this unpredictable weather that we have.

Back