ICC Cricket World Cup 2011

Ireland backed at 399/1 on BF (presumably just after Porterfield went out 1st ball)

Unbelievable stuff !! Possibly bigger than the Pakistan win in the last World Cup !!!

Excuse me, I have a few emails to compose to my UK suppliers/colleagues/whingers etc etc :p

Brilliant win for Ireland and well done !
mixed feelings as an Englishman and a cricket fan with little sucesss in getting the sports mad kids to take an interest in the game and one who has spent many a day down at Trent Bridge, this can only be good for Irish cricket, I am dissapointed and elated at the same time.

I say, jolly good show, chappies! I was away from my tv so I was depending on radio updates. Brilliant!

As one texter to the show said, it's a bit like England beating Ireland at hurling!

I hope you are not putting me in that bandwagon. Used up a days holidays to watch this!

No not at all. I was merely having a laugh with Tarfhead based on his first post on the thread.

Fantastic win today. We should be 2 from 2.

If we play like that against the Windies we could still make the quarters

I know next to nothing about cricket, but this quote from the BBC is sweet. Any time we kick the" auld enemy " in sport is a good day.

Kevin O'Brien blazed the fastest century in Cricket World Cup history as Ireland pulled off an astonishing victory over England in Bangalore.
BBC Website.

I'm tempted to ask what is a "century"... but that really would be displaying my ignorance!

It's all marvellous. Fantastic and well done the Irish team. Maybe we should do more minority sports as we seem to be able to win at this.

On some radio yesterday a comment was made that the Irish team were more Irish than the English team were English so I guess I'll have to have a look and see what they mean but the names sounded Irish at the very least. Could never figure out why the English were so into soccer when most of the players came from anywhere but the UK or the area it's played in.

But still and all I have to decide which is more boring cricket or soccer and that's a hard call.

In this day and age cannot under Ydontu's comments.

Great result all the same and once again I've heard nothing but sport this morning but happy to do so.

There's a lot of talk about the fastest 100 in World Cup (and rightly so) but it should also be noted that the 327 runs that Ireland had to beat was the biggest total in World Cup history that has been succesfully chased by the team batting second.

Fantastic performance all-round

Looks like Canada are taking some inspiration from Ireland. Pakistan are 181 for 8. Canada are only 11/4 with bookies! Look what the Irish have started!

Someone is going to have to explain this game. What does 184 all out acutally mean in normal language !;)

Someone is going to have to explain this game. What does 184 all out acutally mean in normal language !;)

Each team is given maximum of 50 overs (6 balls per over) to score as many runs as possible while also trying to avoid losing all their batsmen (each team has 11 batsmen per game) and must have two to continue, so when they lose the 10th man, they are all out as the 11th man cannot play alone even if they have yet to reach the required 50 overs.

so... Pakistan scored 184 runs and had all their men bowled out within 43 overs.

Canada then had the same, 50 overs, 11 batsmen and needed to score 184 to tie the match or 185 to win. They only managed 138 all out

Thanks RonanC & Ceist Beag...okay, it's not as baffling as I 1st thought. My local Pakistani store assistant was trying to explian it to me as well. As for Ireland's win, some bloke on the radio said it was the equivalent of England beating Ireland in Hurling ... sweet, sweet, sweet. (Hope they don't take up hurling).;)

Back