I want to do something with Excel for my budget

junii

Hi,
I have my budget done up in excel. I have each month done seperatly for the next year. At the top of each month I have budgeted spend and then on another column underneath I have actual spend.

I want to have the actual spend calculated differently though. At the moment I have
Week1 - 60
Week2 - 55
Week3 - 49
Week4 - 67

I am calculating these figures by adding up my receipts and typing them into the cells directly. I would like to add a new tab in excel to add in all my grocery bills itemised and then for the figure on the main page be dynamically calculated from this. I'm not sure how to do this.

The main reason I want to do this is to be able to generate some sort of stats on my shopping habits to see where I can save more money.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Take a look at the attached screenshot aswell (click link below) to get a better idea of what I mean should I not have explained myself well. This is three months of my new budget. You will see on the bottom for the first month (bottom left) I have filled in my grocery expense. When the month is over I plan on doing a cost adjustment into the current money column as my actual spend is not exact same as budgeted.

Any other ideas to improve my budget will be appreciated.

[img=http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/2985/budgetbg1.th.jpg][img=http://img381.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif]

Not an EXCEL whizz, and not able to view your screenshot from work, but ..

Do you want one cell in a tabbed worksheet to be a total field for one or more cells in another worksheet in the same EXCEL file ?

- highlight the cell you want to be the total and hit F2 to edit the contents. Key in =SUM(), and position the cursor between the brackets.
- click on the tab of the second worksheet and highlight the cell, or range of cells, to be totalled.
- click the 'green tick' to commit the change

This works for me in EXCEL 2003.
HTH

Hi Junii,

if you want PM me with your spreadsheet and I'll try and set it up for you, send me a copy without any figures and without any other sensitive/personal information.

Regards,

BM

IMHO it is better to keep everything to one page with the separate headings and then you can filter to get the spend rather than using a sheet for each month.

There are references to budget spreadsheets on previous AAM threads.

i have an excel sheet set up that I use that does what you want
I will post tomorrow (even has some graphs to show how your spending changes)

PM sent to Bank manager with budget.

Picene: I would still be interested in seeing your budget.

Thanks.

Junii,

Just seeing your PM now - I won't get to look at your spreadsheet until the weekend. Let me know if Picene's one meets your need.

Regards,

BM

Back