I want to collect my JB and Mortgage Int Supp from another Post Office

R

Rafael Nadal

I know it sounds patethic,but I am so embarrased about being unemployed(5mnths) now,it kills me my neighbours potentially knowing I am no longer working, so to be honest I dont tell them that I am,simply saying that I am getting by with no detail given. The fact is sooner or later they will find out when one of them sees me in the local PO collecting my payments,its just a personal thing I am in Kells ,can I go to a PO in Navan for instance to collect it where I know no-one? As I said I know it sounds pathethic but there it is.

Rafa...you can collect at the Wimbledon post office, no problem.

Or even Nobber

I dont know the answer to your question 100% but i would imagine that you can pick an PO that you want to collect payment from., It might not be the same things but some years ago when i was collecting my child benefit before it went directly into my account on the form is asked me to name the PO where i wanted to collect the payment. I do see why they would ask what PO if you could only claim it from your local PO.

As for being embarassed, you have no reason to be embassassed what so ever. It's not like you are choosing not to work there just isn't many jobs around at the moment. And i doubt any of them would think much of it if they did know your were recieving benefits. I think most people would know someone that has to recieve help because of losing their job or reduced hours.

You can nominate any post office you wish - just ask at the SW office where you sign on for your Jobseeker's and at the CWO office for your Mortgage Interest Supplement.

Thanks for the replies ,can I ask GIPIMAN, As I am in Dublin seeking work at least 3 times a week can I actually collect it there,or does it have to be within the catchment area,also do you know how long it takes and finally , will the Community welfare officer know automatically that I have changed or do I have to inform them personally.

You might be asked why you're moving it so far away from where you live, but it seems reasonable so there shouldn't be a problem. If you were asking it to be moved to Donegal while you're still living in Meath, questions might be asked!!

You will have to contact the CWO to have your mortgage supplement payment changed. He/She will know when your JB payment location changes, but unless you ask them in person, they can't change your supplement payment.

Both changes can be made very quickly. I would suggest that you call into the offices on the day you collect your payments so that the change would be in place for the payment on the following week.

Many thanks again Gipimann. Really relieved to know its okay to do this.

UPDATE,

Just to say I went in to Local SWO today to make the change and was told in no uncertain terms that this was not possible, I explained I wanted to look for work in Dublin and was told to transfer my claim there if I wanted to change the PO. They said I could change to another PO in the Kells area but not even to Navan for instance. I must say it was a bit embarrasing and I didnt have the nerve to tell them the other reason I wished to change, it looks like I have to just get over myself,but it is a
silly situation when you cant even nominate your own payment PO.
Also for the first time since I made my original claim I found the staff in the SWO to be sneery and unhelpful,not nice.

Sorry to hear that Rafa, it must be a new arrangement which has been brought in, as to my knowledge, it wasn't a problem in the past.

Back