I think TD's running away from electorate and gettiing fat pensions should be a stick

NOAH

We should never stop reminding people of the largesse our great politicians heaped on themselves ie our money and then ran away when the going got tough.

A pension at 51 or 52 is obscene in this country when the state we are in was caused by self same politicians. And then they have the barefaced cheek to say we act on behalf of the country and put the country's interest first.

I despair...

noah-

In many cases these TD's are not running away from the electorate they are retiring after nearly 30 years of service as a TD. Personally I think anyone is entitled to retire / change careers if they wish after nearly 30 years in the same job. Brian Cowen for example was elected in 1984 - the man is entitled to leave a demanding job that is not very family friendly, after doing it for 27 years. I have no connection to him but I think this "TD's running away" trend in the media is ridiculous, very few of us do the same job for 27 years.

very few of us are also able to retire on generous pensions after only 27 years of work.

very few of us are also able to retire on generous pensions after only 27 years of work.

Very few of us give up careers to go into public life. Not like some of the other wasters who can walk back into a teaching job that has been kept open to them. I don't like the size of the pensions but I don't have a problem with the idea of the pension for someone after 27 years service in the Dail. I do have a problem with sitting TD's taking pensions though

HERE IS THE HEADLINE FROM THE INDO TODAY

"I put the people first, says Cowen as Dail is dissolved" What age is he? 51/52 and he is standing down. The barefaced cheek of these people knows no bounds.

If he said " I am foregoing my pension until 65 etc " then he might have gained some kudos/respect but then we know better.

Not to even make a token gesture and to treat us as idiots is unforgivable.

noah

With his health and fitness I don't think he'll be alive at 65

Not wishing ill on the man, now is the time to take better care of himself

Can their familes continue to get their pensions if they pass away?

ONQ.

The oversized pension is bad enough, but I find the golden handshake even more annoying.

Very few of us give up careers to go into public life. Not like some of the other wasters who can walk back into a teaching job that has been kept open to them. I don't like the size of the pensions but I don't have a problem with the idea of the pension for someone after 27 years service in the Dail. I do have a problem with sitting TD's taking pensions though

big +1 to that.

Lets separate out the two issues.

I also think that 27 years is long enough to be in National Politics, for the politicans and for the country.

Its the size of the pension that is obscene.

Have you ever seen as many politicians get sudden illnesses?

How many have retired on medical grounds and advice from their doctors?

Yeah right. I bet if all was rosy and there was no bust and plummeting polls, there would not be a single retirement from FF this time.

Really looking forward to them calling at my door this month. I just really hope I'm in.

Where are the IMF? Why aren't they sorting this out? Why are they so ruthless in other countries and toothless in Ireland?

Our retirement age is 66 not 65, and going up in the next few years because they say we are living longer, it cannot be the health system that is doing it.
Also I wonder are they paying USC?

Our retirement age is 66 not 65, and going up in the next few years because they say we are living longer, it cannot be the health system that is doing it.
Also I wonder are they paying USC?

I think people over a certain age dont have to pay the usc even though in someplaces they can still work while also having medical cards too

I don't have a problem with people retiring after years of service but as someone else posted I do have a problem with sitting TD's drawing pensions. That is an absolute disgrace. TD's have spent years and years looking after themselves with big pay rises, nice pensions and perks the rest of us can only dream about.
Finally, the last Govt. went too far and people kopped on but where was the outcry years ago? Its not like they only started feathering their nests recently..
The fact that so many of them are now retiring after suddenly developing ' Health problems' proves to me what I always thought! they're cowards. When the going got tough they legged it!

Back