I Phone versus Nokia N96...

Darthvadar

Hi everyone...

Badly need to update my phone before it finally gives up the ghost... Also need a digital camera... As I'd rather not have the hassle of getting used to several pieces of technology at the same time (complete technaphobe!) I was thinking of getting a new phone with a good camera and combining both...

I've narrowed my choices down to the I phone, or the Nokia N96 (but I'm open to other suggestions)... Due to disability, my fine motor skills are a bit hit and miss, so something easily handled would help... As a technaphobe, idiot-proof would be good, too...

Would appreciate all advice, please...

Thank you...

Darth...

Both being replaced within the next 2 months or so. New iPhone & Nokia N97.

N97 has a slide out keyboard & looks the biz to me.

Both being replaced within the next 2 months or so. New iPhone & Nokia N97.

N97 has a slide out keyboard & looks the biz to me.

I have heard the N96 was awful....

The N97 will be much much better but will be very very expensive.

I'm waiting on the new iphone as i'm finished my contract on meteor and not doing anything until i see it.

The iPhone 3G has a low end camera. 2MP no auto focus no flash. The N96 has 5 MP, 2592x1944 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, LED flash.

Not everyone likes Touch screens and often there are advantages to having physical buttons. The iPhone is simpler to use though.

what make is your current phone. If it is currently a Nokia you'd probably find it easier adjusting to the N96 then the i phone i reckon.

The Higher end Nokia's, use S60 software which is more complex then S40 on other Nokia's. Some like it, some don't.

The battery life on the iPhone isn't great but the N96 is worse. Try before you buy would be my advice. Especially the buttons. Most shops should have a working demo phone behind the counter.

If you can wait until its release in October, you might want to consider the new Sony Ericsson Satio, announced yesterday.

I have the N95 8Gb.. I think it's better than the N96.

Camera is great, Sat nav is pretty good.. but the buttons are very small and may be difficult to manage. I took a while to get used to it and I have small-ish hands and excellent dexterity.

There's 14 'action' type buttons in a space 5cm wide x 1cm tall... and then there's the number buttons.. there's 12 of them in a small area too. People with big fingers would be in trouble.

I'd say there's better phones if dexterity is a problem.. I think Nokia have a phone with extra large buttons, not sure if it has a camera, I don't know the model number.

N95 on Meteor for 180 if you sign up to a contract for 12 months, 50 Euro a month contract.

I have an iPhone, before I always had the latest Nokia. Both have their advantages. I do love the iPhone and all the applications you can install but there are some things that really irritate me. e.g. you cannot delete a single message, you have you clear the complete conversation. With nokia, you can create subfolders so you can keep any important messages. Another thing, you cannot see when someone has call waiting on...bit annoying for the person you're calling.

The camera on the iPhone is as good as any phone camera I have come across. You can email pictures straight from your phone which is handy.
you can watch films on your phone, great for long hall flights etc. the phone can be switch to flight mode and so works as an ipod.

Hope this helps.

The iPhone camera is good for a non autofocus 2mp camera. But my old Sony w810i 2mp autofocus is vastly better. The N95 or N96 would be better again.

You can really only judge the camera on a phone by looking at samples on the web. Flickr has a camera explorer which is handy for this.

Back