I love the recession

Ron Burgundy

Well i might be alone in it.

But my mortgage is cheaper, shops are falling over themselves to lower prices and there is no traffic in the morning when i drive to Dublin as no one has a job..........love is great:)

Ron, Aren't you a public servant? Surely the pension levy will cancel out a lot of your gains on the mortgage front.

You obviously know for sure your job will be here next year then

Which one ?? i work two jobs and have done for many years. The civil service job is as it was apart from the pay cut ( levy ) as no bonus or any that stuff for me no matter how well the country was doing.

My other job is tipping along. Not as busy as it was but i intended to slow down after i got married so no biggie.

I am a public servant but if i had to look to that to pay the mortgage etc i'd have topped myself a long time ago. My pay is low and covers the basic but its my other work that gives me a life and some breathing space.

I work hard and i get the benefits of doing so for 15 years so hey, things are good;)

hang on, I'm not allowed have 2 jobs, it is in my contract, oh and I wonder who will be first to blame you for stealing someone elses job by having 2 jobs

No as my business is night based.......

But if i need a half day or anything i apply like anyone else.

its a bit of a "famine or a feast" scenario

If you keep you job and pay level then you're better off as the cost of living is coming down - however thats little comfort if you later lose your job.

I'm certainly not whistling past the graveyard, just glad I've always operated with a "disaster scenario" psyche (do a thread search for what I mean), so its standing me in better sted than if I'd spent spent spent. Not boasting about this, its just pot luck, I could as easily have been seen as the eejit who was holding a fork when it was raining soup. I'm basically scared of personal debt so its always been my goal to pay it off as quick as possible (without going to extremes).

Have lost my employer pension contribution so that a wage cut in one respect, but 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the (withering) pension bush, for the next couple of years anyway.

Well i might be alone in it.

But my mortgage is cheaper, shops are falling over themselves to lower prices and there is no traffic in the morning when i drive to Dublin as no one has a job..........love is great:)

I find your insensitivity to the unlucky sods in the private sector who, you know, actually live in the real world of harsh economic decisions, to be pretty repugnant.

I find your insensitivity to the unlucky sods in the private sector who, you know, actually live in the real world of harsh economic decisions, to be pretty repugnant.

Do i care, i listened to people say i had no ambition etc for going into the public service. Now that it looks like a decent job in the current climate i'm going to enjoy it.......

Also i work hard and get paid for what i do so no guilt for me.

Any one could have gone for a job in the public service, some decided to some didn't. Who made a good choice ?? Should we feel guilt for it ???

Back to the bright side of the reccession for a minute.

I was in Dundrum shopping centre last night. The first shop I went into, the sales assistant came over to me and politely told me to ask her if I needed any help with sizes. She then came back with a voucher for 10e off anything in the store.

The second shop I went into, the sales assistant came over, admired what I was looking at and told me with a smile that there was 15% off all new stock.

the sales assistant came over to me and politely told me to ask her if I needed any help with sizes.

We too have recently noticed a marked improvement in customer service especially in ladies clothing stores.

Mind you, how about Harvey Norman's new TV ad....haggle with the sales assistants for a price !

Do i care, i listened to people say i had no ambition etc for going into the public service. Now that it looks like a decent job in the current climate i'm going to enjoy it.......

Also i work hard and get paid for what i do so no guilt for me.

Any one could have gone for a job in the public service, some decided to some didn't. Who made a good choice ?? Should we feel guilt for it ???

Don't be so cocky, there's always something around the corner to bite you in the ass if you get complacent.

Your business could suffer and I would not be confident if my employer was running €25bn deficits!!!

Back