I have money. How do I make money?

@TallPaul "Have I been transported back to 2006?? "

:) Yes and "going forward" the Long term economic values look only splendid !! :-D

Please OP, based on your criteria, be very careful about property. Even if you got something for half-nothing, who could you sell it on to that quickly at a good profit? Its not that sort of asset. Unless you're talking about a few-year turnaround. The kind of assets you're looking at are volatile, risky, capable of massive turnarounds and deserving of massive self-education !!

Last edited by a moderator:
@spursman "this is a laugh. he wants to buy somethign now and sell off in a quick sale for a large profit. cocaine maybe?"
Well, partly true. I suppose the OP just needs to be informed on highly liquid assets. I buy digital gold for that reason. Physical gold wouldn't cut it. Property, at any price, is seriously illiquid. For one reason only, no matter how cheap it is, so few have any liquid cash! You having liquid cash is exceptional. So you need to think exceptionally. And i mean slightly contrarian, not out of this world thinking when I say exceptional.
If the stock markets were to take serious tumbles, you could buy into value shares like Tesco etc etc. But value investing doesn't fit your desire to make a quick buck and get out. Y'ou seem to want a one size fits all' investment / speculation. You're looking to 'flip' your money and that's a bit foolhardy, if you don't mind my saying so, when you haven't educated yourself on niche areas and their respective upsides and downsides. 100k could be 300k if you know what you're doing. Or it could be 20k very quickly. Read and listen lots, but take steps very slowly! Limit the downside and check liquidity of anything you buy.

The day you buy is the day you sell :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree. You are looking at liquid assets which basically means:
- cash
- bonds
- certain commodities
- funds/ETFs
- ordinary shares
- preference shares
- options, CDFs, and all the other acronyms

real estate, antiques, wine, art, jewelry etc are all illiquid. That doesn't leave much.

It sounds like you are looking for the holy grail, i.e. low risk, high return liquid asset. If you find it let us know.

Physical gold, no. For a load of reasons its not liquid. But digital gold is? And once you keep the funds either in your own bank account that's linked to the digital gold supplier, or keep it in gold, then your funds are safe. Its the most liquid and high-earning investment that I can find, having looked hard.

Wasn't there a stock in the 'States called the Vice Stock.
I think it was pretty tame stuff, but always managed to appreciate.
Cigarettes, beer, wines, spirits, gambling.
Other than that, its the drugs and arms trade for you m'boy.
The lure of easy money for those already rich - who can fathom it...?

But seriously though, disregard all the doom and gloom merchants.

Gold is fine assuming you are buying verified gold bars and not the gold-covered tungsten bars someone stuck the Chinese with a while back.

Property is fine too as long as you choose a well located property in South Dublin - get it properly surveyed first though.

But really, you want a fast return - why not do as one posted suggested and start a business.

Ireland is just crying out for a new commercial bank!

FWIW

ONQ.

Maybe you could become a money lender. Its a tough game but I am sure you could get at least a 10% return after all expenses.

Talk to a stock broker about Long Dated - High Yielding bonds, with interest rates likely to increase in 2010 these should perform well in the short term 2 - 3 years.

Never invest for a tax break as the tax break is what the government use to get people to put money into something that nobody else will!

True . Further proving the insanity of our government offering huge section tax reliefs on prime city centre property which was in huge demand.

Maybe you could become a money lender. Its a tough game but I am sure you could get at least a 10% return after all expenses.

How does one become a money lender ? Are there regulations one must follow ? Any tips ?

I suppose it is a bit like the banks...very little real regulation.And now with the credit crunch and the recession..one has a ready and captive market!The only problem is collecting the loans back from some lenders...you would then have to show your menacing side.
Getting started shouldn`t be a problem...just walk around estates and offer the loans there and then....You may encounter a lot of rejection but I suspect you would be pleasantly surprised at the amount of people willing to take a loan off you on the spot.
I remember in the 80s recession snooker clubs did great buisness as there were so many unemployed.

The only problem is collecting the loans back from some lenders...you would then have to show your menacing side.

The problem is if someone you lend to someone who is more menacing than you :O
That wouldnt be an issue though if you could accept some returnable collateral similar to the way a pawnbroker works. I could see some headache in storing jewellery etc safely though. Are pawnbrokers bound by any regulations ?

Back