I HATE the word 'Yummy'

ney001

Nothing much to add to thread title, just having a rant. Following a weekend of bbqs and outdoor eating all I have heard for the past two days is the yummy word or yum-yum or some variation of Yum. There is something deeply annoying about adults using this word! Is it even a word?

Drives me nuckin futs I tell you! :mad:

Rant over any other annoying words or is it just me! :D

Oh, it's bad.

So is 'tasty' as it happens - to me neither words mean anything and the Y word has the added annoyance of sounding childish too.

Thank you Caveat! not just me so. Especially annoying when a guy uses it! Have to say I notice it quite a bit on this site usually in conjunction with the 'm' as in mmmmmmmmm yum yum! Getting all annoyed again!

Dictionary.com says that the word Yummy has been recorded since 1899, so it is a recent yet accepted part of the English language.

Tasty appears to have been around since 1610. Those awful middle ages people had nothing better to do that make up nonsense words, it seems...

None of you lot would last long around my 2 year-old daughter so, since recently all foodstuffs which she likes have become 'mmmmmmmm, yummy!'

Her mother taught it to her. I'm not responsible!

Last edited:
None of you lot would last long around my 2 year-old daughter so, since recently all foodstuffs which she likes have become 'mmmmmmmm, yummy!'

Her mother taught it to her. I'm not responsible!

very annoying alright but my main problem is with adults who use it so I probably wouldn't last long around your wife!!

This is weird - but I hate the word tummy!

I was speaking to a friend who was commenting that she had put on weight around her "tummy" and I just had to add that I hate the word.

It drives me mental.

Dictionary.com says that the word Yummy has been recorded since 1899, so it is a recent yet accepted part of the English language...
But that's an American site, what do they know about English, they can't even spell? :D
Tasty appears to have been around since 1610. Those awful middle ages people had nothing better to do that make up nonsense words, it seems...
17th century is the Middle Ages? Maybe for Americans...:)

This is weird - but I hate the word tummy!

I was speaking to a friend who was commenting that she had put on weight around her "tummy" and I just had to add that I hate the word.

It drives me mental.

I agree. Can't stand that word. Particularly when a doctor uses it. It just sounds patronising. I half expect them to give me a lollipopl

I agree. Can't stand that word. Particularly when a doctor uses it. It just sounds patronising. I half expect them to give me a lollipopl
I thought (until today!) that I was the only one who was irritated by the word 'tummy'. :eek:

No for some reason I think tummy is actually worse than belly!

I hate the word tummy so much that when someone actually says it- I am saying in my own head - stop saying that word!!!

I also hate the word panties - it is an evil word!!!

No for some reason I think tummy is actually worse than belly!

I hate the word tummy so much that when someone actually says it- I am saying in my own head - stop saying that word!!!
+1. Belly I can deal with, 'tummy' makes me cringe.

Back