I downloaded McAfee unintentionally

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I find that I now have McAfee on my pc. It seems to have been installed as part of an upade of Flash or something similar? I haven't downloaded any new software.

I have Avast with which I am very happy.

Is Mc Afee doing any good?
Is it doing any harm? Should I get rid of it?

I remember in the past having terrible trouble when I had two anti-virus products on my pc. Do these not clash?

You should uninstall it Brendan. The two McAfee and Avast might clash, and you are using space and memory you don't need to use. McAfee isn't free either, so your probably on a trial for 30 days or something, and then you'll get a bill. Use the uninstaller to remove it and reboot.

I don't think its the full version of McAfee you have I think it might be McAfee site advisor. Uninstall it anyway. Its just more bloat you don't need.

Definately uninstall it, to be on the safe side...

Also just beware, a lot of Downloads have hidden extras. I just take my time and uncheck all the extras...

McAfee, like Norton, is a memory hog. Make sure that you have got all the 'bits', after you've got rid of it. Some of the bits are like the living dead and hang around after they're 'killed'.

McAfee have a [broken link removed] to get rid of 'stuff'. Haven't used it myself, don't know how effective it is.

Along with Avast I would recommend you download a free version of superantispyware , a great little program for getting rid of all the malware and spyware on your machine, run the updates and scan regurarly for a spic and span PC :)

I too somehow 'received' McAfee Security Scan Plus and suspect it somehow piggybacked on a Flash update. It is available to anyone free via their website.
The odd thing is that I'm still running a current subscription of McAfee Total Protection. (Donated by McAfee after they 'amended' out of date credit card details to Auto Renew a previous McAfee subscription.:eek: Of course they only did that for my own good...:rolleyes:)

As one of the Security Scan Plus 'benefits' McAfee says it "Silently installs and updates in the background and does not interrupt productivity."

The 'solution' McAfee Security Scan has offered so far is to delete any protection that isn't from McAfee and click a link to buy ony of McAfee's many AV/Security products.

In my opinion McAfee have now become 'part of the problem' as opposed to being a security solution...

If it is McAfee Security Scan that you have, mine came with an Uninstall.exe file (C:\Program Files\McAfee Security Scan\uninstall.exe).
It appears to delete Security Scan.

In my opinion McAfee have now become 'part of the problem' as opposed to being a security solution...

Crugers

That is a very good point. A security company should not install stuff on your pc by default.

Brendan

Brendan, I would completely uninstall the McAfee software for 3 reasons:

1) unneccessary 'bloat' and hardware storage associated with it
2) two anti-virus programs on the one pc may conflict with each other and will slow down your PC as they'll be sharing RAM
2) you are already happy with Avast

I use AVG (free) btw and am v happy with it. The free anti-virus software is more than adequate for most peoples usage.

Back