I am writing an article about being ripped off

I understand that they can't sell products for the same prices as the large multiples, but that pricing is just ridiculous.

Why? Comparing a convenience store to a large supermarket is comparing chalk with cheese in my opinion

What I don't understand is why they can't produce labels specifically for ROI, they can screw me price wise all they want, but I'd prefer not to know, can management not grasp this simple concept??

So your gripe is with the stupidity of their labelling rather than the prices they charge?

There is a big difference between paying, of your own volition, clearly displayed/divulged "high" prices - and maybe then switching to lower cost providers - and being ripped off.

Not really.
Rip-off can be described as 'daylight robbery', 'overpriced', 'bad deal' or 'charging an unfair price'.
Whether you pay for it or not, it remains a rip-off.

Now 'scammed' or 'conned' on the other hand may fit your definition of being ripped off.

To get back to the original OP. I wish you the best of luck finding people who will admit that they have to save - I must be related to scrouge because Ive always been cautious with money (because Ive never really had that musch of it). Some people would call it being tight Id call it cautious - My moto would be get the best quality for the cheapest price and support the business that can give you that.
I noticed it as a child buying fruit pastilles - the difference in price between shops was huge up to 15c rediculous on that little item thats 25% on the normal price.

The best Ive seen is my local shop onpening the giant bags of crisps and selling them individually!!!! Selling a 25g bag for the same price as a 45g bag (the bigger bag) - it obviously wasnt noticed by many people. Rip off how are you!!

The changes Im making is I dont stop at shops anymore for coffee etc when I go in for 1 thing and come out with 10!

Morgage Im happy enough with that and Ins I always shop around for that so no change there.

The main 'rip offs' I'm aware of are;
- 'S' class directors not getting PAYE tax credits. This also stifles start-up companies.

- M50 eFlow thing. [broken link removed]

- government duties.

Most other stuff people have a choice, so can't really be classified as 'rip-offs'.

The best Ive seen is my local shop onpening the giant bags of crisps and selling them individually!!!! Selling a 25g bag for the same price as a 45g bag (the bigger bag) - it obviously wasnt noticed by many people. Rip off how are you!!

Did you report this abuse to the ODCA or National Consumer Agency?

My local Spar charged me €2.25 for 227g of Dairygold butter recently, as opposed to the €2.15 I would have had to pay for 454g of same in Dunnes (another 1/2 mile away).
You can get "real" butter (maybe not Dairygold) for €1.85/lb in Aldi/Lidl/Tesco if I recall correctly. I would have expected Dunnes to be priced similarly.
I also had the normal M&S stg exchange rip-off recently, I purchased an item for €14.50 in M&S Dundrum, only to see £9.50 on the other side of the label, now, my according to XE.COM the current rate in €0.81308, so even allowing for a bit charging etc this should have come in around €12.50 at most. When challenged, staff said that costs are more expensive here than the UK. What I don't understand is why they can't produce labels specifically for ROI, they can screw me price wise all they want, but I'd prefer not to know, can management not grasp this simple concept??
The assumption by many people that retail item prices should convert directly as on the likes of XE.com etc. is facile.

Did you report this abuse to the ODCA or National Consumer Agency?
I doubt that they are breaking any law in selling items from multi-packs individually as long as the price is displayed correctly. Such "not to be sold separately" notices are from the manufacturer and have no legal/statutory basis as far as I know. The manufacturer might be annoyed with the retailer but I doubt that the NCA has any legal remit here.

Not really.
Rip-off can be described as 'daylight robbery', 'overpriced', 'bad deal' or 'charging an unfair price'.
Whether you pay for it or not, it remains a rip-off.
I totally disagree but you can read my many existing posts on this topic rather than me wasting my time repeating myself again.

Books are nearly always cheaper on Amazon, plus they do a lot of special offers. When Im in an Irish bookshop I make notes of titles Im interested in and then go home and order them off Amazon

True, but you get raped with postage charges so not always worth it

True, but you get raped with postage charges so not always worth it

Amazon have reduced their postage charges considerably in the past couple of years, I only buy when cost of item + postage is cheaper than what Ive seen in a shop in Ireland. There is the added convenience of the items arriving to your door of course but I dont feel that warrants paying over what Ive seen in a shop in Ireland.
I dont tend to buy books in 1s though, so perhaps I benefit from cheaper postage charges over a number of items?

i agree with the previous poster on the eflow system, total rip off!

AND
ESB, with those prices they get away with murder. compare to other countries who have copped on with alternative energy, ESB is abusing the fact that this government does not support the idea of getting alternative energy (water, wind...you name it ;)) - +17% increase for what?​

the only paper i buy is the sunday business post as i just love reading the sunday paper with a cup of coffee on a sunday. no way would i buy a paper during the week, its just a complete rip off.

That's my little indulgence too. I don't buy a paper on a daily basis but the Sunday Business Post (bought occassionally) is something I enjoy....apart from anything else it usually lasts me til about Wednesday :D

Might also buy a local paper midweek but again, not as a rule.

Why? Comparing a convenience store to a large supermarket is comparing chalk with cheese in my opinion

So your gripe is with the stupidity of their labelling rather than the prices they charge?

Indeed my gripe is with the stupidity of the labelling, if they're prepared to open stores here, why not go the extra millimiter and produce labels specifically for this market?

As for comparing convenience stores and supermarkets, I acknowledged that they were different and that one expects to pay more, it was the level of the difference that convinced me they were taking the **** - this is not strictly a convenience store as it is a reasonably big spar,with a post office attached, I acknowledge that they can charge what they like, however the OP wanted instances of consumers changing their behaviour and I felt this was a prime example.

And yes Clubman, butter was actually €0.50 in superquinn over the weekend too, and whilst it may be somewhat facile to compare pricing in the same store by using xe.com, it is also facile for staff in that store to attribute the difference to higher costs in this country rather than the UK.

Flora pro-active almost €8 per small tub.:confused: Dairy gold heart almost €6:confused:
Only the wealthy can do something about the cholestoral

it is also facile for staff in that store to attribute the difference to higher costs in this country rather than the UK.

Why?
Wages, govt charges & VAT are all a lot higher here. With an economy of 4m consumers as opposed to 60m in the UK we don't enjoy their economies of scale. Which, to get back where we started, is why the Irish Independent don't have the resources of the Financial Times and RTE don't have the resources of the BBC.

With an economy of 4m consumers as opposed to 60m in the UK we don't enjoy their economies of scale.

Economy of 320m in Eurozone as opposed to only 60m in Sterlingzone UK?

Amazon have reduced their postage charges considerably in the past couple of years, I only buy when cost of item + postage is cheaper than what Ive seen in a shop in Ireland. There is the added convenience of the items arriving to your door of course but I dont feel that warrants paying over what Ive seen in a shop in Ireland.
I dont tend to buy books in 1s though, so perhaps I benefit from cheaper postage charges over a number of items?

Good info, thanks

Is there not another phrase you can use other than raped?

Have I overused it in the past? Don't think I've used it on AAM before. :confused:
Report the post if needs be

Flora pro-active almost €8 per small tub.:confused: Dairy gold heart almost €6:confused:
Only the wealthy can do something about the cholestoral
Good diet will do more for your heart than rubbish spreads that have minimal impact marketed at the stupid.
Go for a walk; it's free.

I agree with ClubMan on what constitutes a rip-off.
If people choose to buy things that they can’t afford at higher prices than they can get elsewhere they have no one to blame but themselves.

Why?
Wages, govt charges & VAT are all a lot higher here. With an economy of 4m consumers as opposed to 60m in the UK we don't enjoy their economies of scale. Which, to get back where we started, is why the Irish Independent don't have the resources of the Financial Times and RTE don't have the resources of the BBC.
Corportation tax is lower, you have no idea whether or not rent is more expensive (on a store by store basis, we can't tell whether or not subsidies are being granted by developers to large prestige anchor tenants, but one would presume that they are), yes, average wages in Ireland are higher, but we can't tell whether or not that is the case in instances of UK firms having branches here, if anything salaries here may be lower given that staff are more likely to be new recruits with not only lower starting salaries, but probably no access to company pension schemes etc.
Afaik profit margins are also higher in ireland, but don't have time to root around for this info.

Back