Hyundai accent gearbox

Renter27

I reckon the gearbox is gone on my car, it started sticking going into 2nd gear then it completely went . The mechanic is coming to look at it tomorrow, but i'm just trying to guess how much this will cost if it is the gearbox gone ?

Only 60k on the clock, anyone else had this with hyundai' s ?

I know someone with a 05 Hyundai Trajet who apparently paid €1000 for a new gearbox earlier this year.

Couple of weeks ago my son reported gearbox "gone" on his 186,000 mile Peugeot 306. Couldn't drive it, wouldn't go from first to second and so on. He abandoned ship an hour and a half from home. When I got round to getting there with a jeep to tow it home (2 weeks later) I tried it.... seemed ok to me, bit notchy maybe... drove it home. Put 2 litres gearbox oil in and it has been ok for the last week.

Now I had been searching for a gearbox etc in the meantime but the moral is check the gearbox oil level, if low top it up.... worth a try for €7.50 a litre. Quoted €180 for second hand gearbox, fitting €250+???? Good luck.

Last edited:
Where did the oil go? If it lost that much oil it must be a big leak!!

true, there was a small patch appearing after getting the clutch replaced a couple of years ago....just small enough to put it on the long finger... reminds me, must check underneath again...

have noticed no oil leaks from the car, had a mechanically minded friend look at it & he reckons its just the gear selector gone. Apparently if its the gear box itself i would be getting a burning oil smell .

its being towed to the garage friday to be diagnosed up on their ramp - fingers crossed !!

Back