HSE not transferring service

Ada2019

Hi all,
Hope someone can help or give me some advice. I have worked in the public sector since 2001. I’ve now moved from HSE to another public sector employee (non health) but my last employer has only transferred 4 years of service and I’m having awful trouble getting them to correct the error and transfer the full amount. This has been going on for over a year at this stage. Any advice on who to contact about it?

1. You have worked in the Public Sector since 2001. You didn't say whether it was only in the HSE that you worked. However, I'll answer both scenarios.
(a) You will need to get a confirmation letter from each of the Public Service employments stating for how long you worked there and your terms of employment.
(b) If it were only the HSE you worked you will require the HSE to advise of all your service there and your terms. I don't know if you worked a 39 hours week or less (or more). You can request this by email and within the HSE it should be not much of a problem.
2. You can present the confirmation letter(s) to your new employer who likely will add to your time of service. It is important you do this this on taking up your new role as it will save any future hassle coming near your eventual retirement.

Please note:- Any service at Nil-Rate-of-Pay is not transferable.

1. You have worked in the Public Sector since 2001. You didn't say whether it was only in the HSE that you worked. However, I'll answer both scenarios.
(a) You will need to get a confirmation letter from each of the Public Service employments stating for how long you worked there and your terms of employment.
(b) If it were only the HSE you worked you will require the HSE to advise of all your service there and your terms. I don't know if you worked a 39 hours week or less (or more). You can request this by email and within the HSE it should be not much of a problem.
2. You can present the confirmation letter(s) to your new employer who likely will add to your time of service. It is important you do this this on taking up your new role as it will save any future hassle coming near your eventual retirement.

Please note:- Any service at Nil-Rate-of-Pay is not transferable.
Thanks for the reply.
I’ve worked in 4 different hospitals in the HSE since 2001. All of my service was transferred to hospital 3 when I started there in 2004. I then moved to hospital 4 in 2018 and all of my service was then transferred to them - HSE West. I then left the HSE in 2022 and am now working for the department of education. The problem I’m having now is that HSE West only transferred the 4 years I worked with them and not the rest. I’ve been emailing and phoning them since July 2022 about it. So frustrated. I have about 20 years left til retirement but I want it sorted asap in case anything was to happen before then.

1. You're right to try to have the matter sorted asap.
2. If I were you I'd speak to a Line Manager in HR in the HSE and inform him/her that you are frustrated by the non performance of the HR staff. You are entitled to a reply within a fortnight whether or not it's in your favour. Get the name of the person with whom you are dealing and record dates etc.
3. If the Line Manager falls down on the job, I would advise you to approach some TD about the matter. Usually, TD's leave no stone unturned for a result. Furthermore, management in the HSE do not want to alienate any political representations.
4. For the record I worked in the Payroll Dept of the HSE for years and I'd look on problems such as this as really "everyday" stuff that needs to be done fast and I reckon it isn't difficult.

@Leper to follow up on point 2 (in your first reply) my new employer needs a form completed with all service on it even though I’ve got the confirmation letters you mention.

@Leper to follow up on point 2 (in your first reply) my new employer needs a form completed with all service on it even though I’ve got the confirmation letters you mention.
Again, I'd see this as no big deal. With the information you supplied I'd have your requests processed and completed within an hour.

Would the OP have received a P45 when moving between parts of the HSE? It would show start and finish dates.

What about year-end P60s, showing insurable weeks etc? These are valuable documents again they'd show all the relevant data.

What about Revenue who should have all of the above based on OP's PPSN?

Would the OP have received a P45 when moving between parts of the HSE? It would show start and finish dates.

What about year-end P60s, showing insurable weeks etc? These are valuable documents again they'd show all the relevant data.

What about Revenue who should have all of the above based on OP's PPSN?
@mathepac, with respect all the P60's and P45's in the world will show only income tax paid, social welfare contributions etc. Start and Finish dates are just that and do not show the amount of service to be transferred. The OP here is merely asking for the amount of her previous service (usually counted in years and days to be credited - simple addition of days). Anything else is superfluous. It's a simple process, let's keep it simple. Contacting Revenue is superfluous too. Only her previous HSE people can resolve this. I'm surprised such a simple process is being drawn out.

Thanks @mathepac and @Leper, I have proof of service and as @Leper says it’s the ‘simple’ matter of HSE West correctly filling out my service record (WTE * 22 years).
I’m very thankful for the advice above re contacting a line manager and then a TD - will get into that tomorrow.

@mathepac, with respect all the P60's and P45's in the world will show only income tax paid, social welfare contributions etc. Start and Finish dates are just that and do not show the amount of service to be transferred. The OP here is merely asking for the amount of her previous service (usually counted in years and days to be credited - simple addition of days). Anything else is superfluous. It's a simple process, let's keep it simple. Contacting Revenue is superfluous too. Only her previous HSE people can resolve this. I'm surprised such a simple process is being drawn out.

Would the P60s and P45s not also show the Employer's Number which (assuming that the HSE has only one employer number) would show that the OP has had the same employer for the past 20-odd years?

Would the P60s and P45s not also show the Employer's Number which (assuming that the HSE has only one employer number) would show that the OP has had the same employer for the past 20-odd years?
At the risk of sounding callous and with respect, (and not confuse any party,) in this situation P45's, P60's are just about as helpful as a handbrake in a canoe. For transfer of service within the HSE and other public service bodies all is required is confirmation of previous hours worked within the service. Please note most grades within the HSE work different hours weekly. Transfer of service covers fulltime, part-time, temporary, casual time.

At the risk of sounding callous and with respect, (and not confuse any party,) in this situation P45's, P60's are just about as helpful as a handbrake in a canoe. For transfer of service within the HSE and other public service bodies all is required is confirmation of previous hours worked within the service. Please note most grades within the HSE work different hours weekly. Transfer of service covers fulltime, part-time, temporary, casual time.

One of the few memorable things that my part-time degree - funded by my employer (aka the Irish taxpayers, Gawd bless them) - taught me, was the value of thinking outside the box when faced with a problem.

While you definitely deserve a large box of Smarties for pointing out how things should work in an ideal world, it's clear that the OP has a problem hence I consider it helpful to offer them a possible solution that just might assist them to resolve their problem.

Last edited:
@Marsupial thank you for your input. Unfortunately the HSE and probably public service as a whole doesn’t have a great track record for ‘thinking outside the box’.

Thankfully I have confirmation of all my service but HSE West, as my last HSE employer have the responsibility to transfer all of my service both including the years with them and those that came before.

It’s a simple form filling exercise that they just haven’t done properly.

1. This was a simple request (I wouldn't even give it as a "task") and the personal responsible fell down on the job (bottom line).
2. Thinking outside of the box is not required here - it was a request about something that is simple to resolve completely within an hour.
3. @Ada2019 has lost faith in HR/Payroll not only in HSE West, but in the entire public/civil service.
4. There is usually some animosity between clerical staff and front-line staff in the HSE. What happened here does no favours for HSE clerical staff and in fact has helped promote "some animosity."
5. I hope Ada will return to the thread when this simple problem is resolved and advise of the outcome.

Have you only been talking to local pay and HR if so you many need to look up national HR for pay as in every public section not all good at what they do.

Thanks for the reply.
I’ve worked in 4 different hospitals in the HSE since 2001. All of my service was transferred to hospital 3 when I started there in 2004. I then moved to hospital 4 in 2018 and all of my service was then transferred to them - HSE West. I then left the HSE in 2022 and am now working for the department of education. The problem I’m having now is that HSE West only transferred the 4 years I worked with them and not the rest. I’ve been emailing and phoning them since July 2022 about it. So frustrated. I have about 20 years left til retirement but I want it sorted asap in case anything was to happen before then.
Emailing and calling the same folks that have not been helping to date won't cut it. Escalate up the organization hierarchy.

Update for those who offered advice.

Another 3 months on and the issue is still not resolved so I have emailed pensions west to ask them about using the IDR process. Couldn’t find any forms online and the only advice on the HSE pensions section on the website is to contact your local pension area to enquire about the IDR process!! How does that make sense when they can’t even do the simple action of filling out a form correctly? Frustrating!!

Hi Ada, It’s nearly 4 months since you posted and the progress in your claim is glacial (at best) , if there has even been progress. I said earlier that this is a relatively easy situation to resolve. Why is it not resolved? I worked in such HSE areas where this issue cropped up every week and each individual matter was resolved within days of first contact. Something appears to be very wrong in your case. I hope you have names of contacts and dates of contact on the matter. I see nothing wrong with you seeking the help of any TD in resolving this matter now.

You deserve an explanation why there is such a delay in getting the matter resolved. Have you got this? If you have not, then ask for it and the HSE is obliged to provide reasons.

Hi Ada, It’s nearly 4 months since you posted and the progress in your claim is glacial (at best) , if there has even been progress. I said earlier that this is a relatively easy situation to resolve. Why is it not resolved? I worked in such HSE areas where this issue cropped up every week and each individual matter was resolved within days of first contact. Something appears to be very wrong in your case. I hope you have names of contacts and dates of contact on the matter. I see nothing wrong with you seeking the help of any TD in resolving this matter now.

You deserve an explanation why there is such a delay in getting the matter resolved. Have you got this? If you have not, then ask for it and the HSE is obliged to provide reasons.
@Leper no explanation at all as yet. I sent them an email a few days ago advising that I wished to initiate the IDR process and I got a reply today to say my request has been prioritised and they will revert to me within 10 working days. If I don’t hear back from them then I will go to a TD and will also submit a complaint to the ombudsman. I just can’t understand how it is taking so long and I had to raise a dispute to progress it.

Back